High 4 wheel drive

D’Syj

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys I’m new to the forum I have a 95 yj 4.0 and when I try to put it in 4 wheel high it makes a sound like the shifter is hitting metal and doesn’t engage into 4 wheel drive. However if I put it in 4 wheel low first it engages and then it will let me shift into 4 wheel high and works fine. If anyone has any ideas on what it might be please let me know. Thanks

How is it going into 4LO but not letting you go into 4HI? You have to get past 4HI to get into 4LO….

For clarification when you say "doesn’t engage into 4 wheel drive" do you mean the TC selector works but only the rear wheels have power and not the front? Or are you having trouble getting the transfer case to actually shift into 4H?

How is it going into 4LO but not letting you go into 4HI? You have to get past 4HI to get into 4LO
For clarification when you say "doesn’t engage into 4 wheel drive" do you mean the TC selector works but only the rear wheels have power and not the front? Or are you having trouble getting the transfer case to actually shift into 4H?
sorry I’m kind of new at this stuff the CAD is working fine I’m just having trouble getting it in 4H unless I put it in 4 low first if that makes sense.

Check the fluid level in your transfer case and refill/replace it. Then be prepared to change the rear output shaft seal when the new fluid you put in wizzes all over the ground. Speaking from experience…last weekend.