Help with my crooked YJ?

1989YJguy

Hey folks! Total forum noob here, looking for some advice. I've searched high and low on this, found some decent info, but also noticed a big black hole on certain issues.
New to me 1989 YJ with RE 4"ish lift, 33s, no front/rear track bars, stock 35/30 axles. Some things are off, that I can't put my finger on. Started with misaligned hood. Gap on right side of hood to cowl much larger than left side. Big gap at front of hood to upper grill area also on right side. Rubbing on left side enough to remove paint front upper grill corner. I've felt, inspected, and sighted down frame on both sides looking for any signs of bent or damaged frame issues. Not a ripple, bulge, dent, noticeable bend, damage, etc., at all. Zero rust, looks practically like new Jeep down there! I supposed it could be the grill/fender assembly just not centered up properly...but must be more due to next issues. Next, I did X measure from shackles using plumb bob and making marks on floor to measure. Front to back (same side), things are spot on. But diagonally things are off; Rear right to front left diagonal about 1.25" longer than opposite...which would be consistent with the way the hood is lining up (or not lining up as it were). Lastly, my front axle is about 1.25" towards the left of rear axle somehow. I determined this by placing long straight edge across back tires horizontally through center and checking with front tires with steering centered. About 1.25" gap between front right tire and straight edge. Opposite on left side (1.25" straight edge overlapping tire!) All the searches on this axle alignment issue yields results related only to TJ's and coil sprung wranglers, and trackbars/adjustable trackbars, etc. Which is worthless to me on leaf sprung YJ. All leafs have center pins in proper location, and seem straight in every way I can determine. I don't feel any pull while driving or braking, no doggie walking noticeable in follower car, etc. Sure seems like the sum of above would point to slightly tweaked frame. But where? OR...could it be something else I'm totally missing here? With leaf sprung, and u bolts, centering pins, shackles, etc in good shape and appearing to be in appropriate places...how could the axles be off center without frame issue? The distance between front/rear tires appear to be spot on for both sides as well. I did some other measuring I could think of, like distance between inside of tire and frame on all 4 corners, etc. Didn't see any glaring differences. A real mystery, that I'd like to solve. Anybody have suggestions of things for me to look at, measure, etc., prior to a trip to a frame shop? If a frame shop is needed to fix, so bit it....but I'd like to determine where these problems are coming from first if possible. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!
Doug

If your hood latches and can also later be unlatched, call it a win and move on. The fit of a yj hood is probably better than most teslas, but not as good more modern cars. Be sure to have the rubber grommets in place to align the hood properly.

I'm feeling ya on not getting overly detail oriented on an old YJ Redbullet. And perhaps I've already done that. I can latch the hood, but no go on the rubber grommets on left side...too tight. Already metal to metal and removed the paint on that corner. I loosened the hood hinges to attempt better alignment for the rubber bumpers, but no go. It wants to be where it wants to be. And on right side I can ram a finger in the gap. OH, one other symptom that might assist in diagnosis: If you put a straight edge along right side door and panel to fender...the fender goes away from the straight edge (ie front of fender goes to the left). If you do the same on left side, straight edge hits the fender enough to create a 1/2" gap between side of jeep and straight edge. In other words, same thing I'm seeing pretty much on whole jeep. Front end pushed to the left left. Not just front body panels, but axles/tires, shackles, etc. I'm attaching a file to show illustration of what I'm talking about regarding front/rear axle alignment symptom. I'd expect this on lifted truck with coils and incorrect trackbar setup, but perplexing on leaf sprung jeep with no visible impact damage to frame, tub, etc. Maybe someone tried to tow it at bad sideward angle...but looking under jeep, doesn't look liker it's ever been wheeled even. Hmmm. Thanks again!

jeep yj front and rear axles off center.jpg

Last edited:
The factory sets the front axle up off center to the passenger side so that the diff can clear the frame. It’s not a problem. Your drawing shows it shifted to the drivers side but I’m pretty sure that’s incorrect.

The factory sets the front axle up off center to the passenger side so that the diff can clear the frame. It’s not a problem. Your drawing shows it shifted to the drivers side but I’m pretty sure that’s incorrect.
Hello! And thank you for reply! My drawing is accurate. Passenger front tire about 1.25" to the left or rear tire, as shown. Odd huh?

Can you post some pictures?
Got under it and studied some more...definitely bent frame right about where front leaf spring rear frame bracket is. In fact, looks like that bracket is tweaked and spring slightly tilted. Looking at situation as a whole, fender and hood misalignment, shackle X measurement diamonded, front axle pushed to left...pretty obvious looking at it now. Wish I saw it when I looked at it to buy it...and really hope frame shop can square it up without costing a boat load! I'll see if I can get some pics to show issues well for 2nd opinions. Thx!

Reactions: machoheadgames
Got under it and studied some more...definitely bent frame right about where front leaf spring rear frame bracket is. In fact, looks like that bracket is tweaked and spring slightly tilted. Looking at situation as a whole, fender and hood misalignment, shackle X measurement diamonded, front axle pushed to left...pretty obvious looking at it now. Wish I saw it when I looked at it to buy it...and really hope frame shop can square it up without costing a boat load! I'll see if I can get some pics to show issues well for 2nd opinions. Thx!
Yo macho, and others. See attached photos of hood misalignment issue (and one of my new toy). At this point, assuming front section of frame bent about maybe inch or so to the left based on all symptoms previously described. No pulling or weird tire wear. Will get to body/frame shop at some point in near future to assess properly. For now, I'd like to shift grill and fenders about half inch or so to get hood to line up better and stop hitting left/front/top of grill...which makes opening hood a pain (have to hold center latch while tweaking that corner out to let go). Is there more to it than loosening bottom center core support mount and persuading in desired direction? Loosen anything else first? Tips, tricks? Thanks!!

hood to cowl left.jpg

hood to cowl right.jpg

hood to grill left.jpg

hood to grill right.jpg

my new yj.jpg

Hey Macho,
I did post some pics, but somehow replied to my own post when I did. So maybe you didn't bet alerted to updated post. Hadn't heard anybody's opinion since I did that a few days ago, so thought I'd bump here. Again, looking for any tips/tricks to moving grill and fenders to the right to improve hood fitment....until potential frame issue resolved. Thx!

See what happens if you pull a string along the side of the Jeep just above the fender flares. Mine is pretty straight along the length on both sides. I'm thinking the front end may be pushed over or the center grill is offset to one side and the fenders are being pushed sideways to match it.

Are you sure the frame is off and not the body tub/fenders sitting crooked on a straight frame?

1684262390798.png

See what happens if you pull a string along the side of the Jeep just above the fender flares. Mine is pretty straight along the length on both sides. I'm thinking the front end may be pushed over or the center grill is offset to one side and the fenders are being pushed sideways to match it.

Are you sure the frame is off and not the body tub/fenders sitting crooked on a straight frame?

View attachment 121325
Hello, and thanks for reply! I did that previously, but used long straight edge instead of string. Wish it looked like your's, but unfortunately right side fender runs away from the door/side straight edge towards front. Left side fender front sticks out past door/side straight edge. I would love to entertain the idea of the grill/fenders just been pushed over.....however I have same issue with tires (see drawing on reply #3 above), which means axle, which I assume means frame too unfortunately. For now, I would like to push the grill and fenders to the right to allow hood to align better and close without hitting left/front corner. I'm inquiring on tips/tricks to do so, in addition to the obvious loosening of lower front/center support mount and persuading it that way. Thoughts?