Have you seen pre-fabricated parts to move seat / slider closer to wheel - 1992 Wrangler

JulieS

Hi - Hubby and I have a 1992 Wrangler, but I have never been able to drive it easily. I am 5'2" and the stock drivers' seat won't slide forward enough for me to comfortably shift and brake. I only need like 2 more inches forward to be a happy driver.

Chris suggested fabricating a new part or seeing if any pre-fabbed parts were available. Does anyone know of any pre-fabbed seat sliders/base or good metal fabricators in the Portland Metro area?

Thanks for your help!

You sure you don’t have an aftermarket seat? Those often raise the driver up higher and add angle which makes it hard for anyone to operate. Just a thought but if by chance you don’t have a bone stock seat, then going back to one may be the ticket. Mine can get me uncomfortably close to the pedals.

If the seat truly is OEM, you could probably get that work custom done. I’ve been in the seat market for a long time and there is nothing like what you are wanting. Corbeau makes some seat brackets but they suck. The legs aren’t proper length and the tracks are proprietary meant only for corbeau seats.

You sure you don’t have an aftermarket seat? Those often raise the driver up higher and add angle which makes it hard for anyone to operate. Just a thought but if by chance you don’t have a bone stock seat, then going back to one may be the ticket. Mine can get me uncomfortably close to the pedals.

If the seat truly is OEM, you could probably get that work custom done. I’ve been in the seat market for a long time and there is nothing like what you are wanting. Corbeau makes some seat brackets but they suck. The legs aren’t proper length and the tracks are proprietary meant only for corbeau seats.
Thanks - what an awesome, helpful answer! I think you might be right - the seats are definitely at a weird angle and are high. They were covered since we bought it but the previous owner said he didn't change anything except the shifter knob in the interior. Anyway, thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. If you have any recommendations on best adjustable seats, even if stock, that would be great!

I have a 91 with Bestop seats. The seats are bolted to the slide rails. The slide rails bolted to the bases. Im pretty sure if nothing else something like some 1/8 by 1" band iron could be cut longer than those rails, redrilled and used to move the seat 2 " forward. Might be a pain but yanking a seat and having a looksie should show what Im getting at.

I have a 91 yj and had to move the stock seat back 2 or 3 inches. I simply re-drilled the 4 holes in the top of the seat pedestal and re-mounted the seat farther back. Ask your Hubby to remove the 4 nuts holding the seat down and pull the seat out, you might be able to reposition the holes far enough forward to get you in the Drivers seat . : >)