Has anyone used Speedi-Sleeve to stop leaks?

Not in this case but I have successfully used them in the past. Make sure it's the proper length and when installing it make sure it's in the best location so the flared end doesn't hit the seal. They're usually easy to install.

I put one on the front pully. Probably should have just bought a new pully but this was cheaper and it worked.

1.jpg

Reactions: Whiplash2130
Not in this case but I have successfully used them in the past. Make sure it's the proper length and when installing it make sure it's in the best location so the flared end doesn't hit the seal. They're usually easy to install.

I put one on the front pully. Probably should have just bought a new pully but this was cheaper and it worked.

View attachment 116564
I think I saw a new yoke from Quadratec for $44. The Speedi Sleeve was between $55 and $61. I just need to figure out what the correct p/n is.

I have used them in the helicopter world, presuming the quality is the same, they should last longer than the Jeep. My question was just to figure out if anyone has use this as a remedy.

I just had a transmission shop change the seal and install new universal joints. Unfortunately, they did not solve the leak and I did not request Spicer joints. I may be doing the follow up work myself.

Ohhh okay, sorry. Makes more sense. Sounds like the yoke is the way to go then and maybe you already have gone that route by now. Might want to put some new Spicer u-joints in if you haven't done the swap already.
Do all NP231 Transfer Cases have the same size yoke for the rear shaft?

Do all NP231 Transfer Cases have the same size yoke for the rear shaft?
See I'm not sure. Everything lists the parts like there is only one application. I have seen it before that there are two different sizes but the guy I got that from hasn't always been super reliable with his info. What yoke brand did you buy? Any idea what seal they used?

I'm picky but if I were ordering stuff to do it myself, I'd use the official spicer yoke, and an SKF seal. They seem to be the best for original tolerances so that everything works later.

See I'm not sure. Everything lists the parts like there is only one application. I have seen it before that there are two different sizes but the guy I got that from hasn't always been super reliable with his info. What yoke brand did you buy? Any idea what seal they used?

I'm picky but if I were ordering stuff to do it myself, I'd use the official spicer yoke, and an SKF seal. They seem to be the best for original tolerances so that everything works later.
The shop didn’t even tell me up front they were changing those parts, just that there was a leak (which I knew about) and they fixed it. They were enlisted to fix the four wheel drive shifter and decided to fix the leak since they had it apart.

The shop didn’t even tell me up front they were changing those parts, just that there was a leak (which I knew about) and they fixed it. They were enlisted to fix the four wheel drive shifter and decided to fix the leak since they had it apart.
Oh so I'm guessing they didn't even replace the yoke at all then? Just pulled it, swapped the seal, and put the driveshaft back in?

Yes. I will buy new ones next week.
Good call. Hope that helps then. I saw SKF seals for $5 and the Spicer yoke at RockAuto for $49. Could probably get them shipped for a decent price. Might want to grab a Spicer 5-1310x from Amazon in case you aren't able to preserve the u-joint the shop installed when swapping the new yoke onto the old driveshaft.

Good call. Hope that helps then. I saw SKF seals for $5 and the Spicer yoke at RockAuto for $49. Could probably get them shipped for a decent price. Might want to grab a Spicer 5-1310x from Amazon in case you aren't able to preserve the u-joint the shop installed when swapping the new yoke onto the old driveshaft.
Thanks fo your help!

Reactions: machoheadgames