Half-door Fitment

EvilRbt

I bought an old 1992 YJ and whoever owned it last put some half-doors on it from a 1993. They driver's side just will not close properly.

I can't get the dreaded hex bolts out because they're painted over and stubborn. However, even by examining the door jam it looks like adjusting the hinges still wouldn't give me the fit I'd need to close the door smoothly.

Does anyone know if ALL YJ half-doors are interchangeable or are there subtle difference, i.e. I should go looking for a different set from a 92.

Thanks!

Each jeep and door will be slightly different depending on how everything has been bent over the years.

The adjustment is on the door plates by loosening them and Those dang bolts can be almost impossible to get out. I had two snapped off from a previous owner. I ended up letting them soak for several days and using lots of heat from a mapp gas torch and easy out. Sand the paint off around the head of the bolts so the penetrating oil can get in. Once you get them hot just wiggle them back and forth a little at a time to break free the bond.

After loosening the door plates I was able to fit the door in place and tighten the hinges.

That was a great day getting those out.

1670292651938.png

I spent an hour getting one bolt out and the second just won't give. Tried WD40, heat-gun, everything.

If I look at the gap at the front and top of the half-door, it seems smaller than the clearance I'd need on the latch side for it to close, which is why I wondered if '93 half-doors might be slightly different (and therefore NOT fit) my 1992.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I think I'll bail on the doors and fit side mirrors. I live in California so will just have to wear thick pants and crank the heater through the cooler winter months.

Reactions: Flyer58
I spent an hour getting one bolt out and the second just won't give. Tried WD40, heat-gun, everything.

If I look at the gap at the front and top of the half-door, it seems smaller than the clearance I'd need on the latch side for it to close, which is why I wondered if '93 half-doors might be slightly different (and therefore NOT fit) my 1992.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I think I'll bail on the doors and fit side mirrors. I live in California so will just have to wear thick pants and crank the heater through the cooler winter months.
Try using PB blaster, it IS a penetrating oil and WD 40 is only a lubricant. Let the PB blaster soak for overnight at least. If possible heat the bolt before first applying, then hit it with some more after it cools. Penetrating oils take awhile to work.

I thought the same about my full doors until I removed the hinge plates and then it fit properly all the way around. Holding the door in place I then attached the hinged plates and tightened the screws.

If those paltes don't move around an all directions then you'll not get it to fit.

Yes for PB Blaster and keep adding some a few times a day. I think it dries out a little fast. Heat is what really breaks the bond.