Fuel tank replacement options

Whiplash2130

YJ Enthusiast
Now that I’ve determined that the fuel tank is actually 15 gallons and the fuel gage is inaccurate at the bottom end of the range, I’m wondering if there is a preferred vendor for new 20 gallon replacement parts? Do I need to replace the skid plate too?

I have yet to read about it. But the later years used a plastic tank that I believe is 18-19 gallons. Should be an easy swap, then again I have yet to even google it.

It’s a metal tank.
You sure about that? It's a 93 with a metal tank? Metal tanks only came on 87-90...

EDIT: I think you're looking at the skid plate. I'm looking back at pics of your Jeep and you have the factory looking 1993 skid which doesn't work with metal tanks. Pretty certain you have the plastic tank with a metal skid. Which means you have a 20 gallon tank, limited to 15 gallons. This was pretty standard in 1993. Take a closer look and confirm if it's plastic. You very likely don't have any reason to buy a new tank, you just need to do the 5 gallon mod to your tank, and get a new sending unit for accuracy.

PS: Don't bother with Genright. They are WAY too expensive and they are not bolt on in a YJ. Two of them are not bolt in and require frame, exhaust, and body work to mount. The other one is bolt in but requires chopping and welding the sending unit to fit the different tank height. That right there is likely going to make accuracy incorrect also. Stick to the tank you have as long as you can confirm it's plastic which I'm pretty certain you can. Just take a closer look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whiplash2130
You sure about that? It's a 93 with a metal tank? Metal tanks only came on 87-90...

EDIT: I think you're looking at the skid plate. I'm looking back at pics of your Jeep and you have the factory looking 1993 skid which doesn't work with metal tanks. Pretty certain you have the plastic tank with a metal skid. Which means you have a 20 gallon tank, limited to 15 gallons. This was pretty standard in 1993. Take a closer look and confirm if it's plastic. You very likely don't have any reason to buy a new tank, you just need to do the 5 gallon mod to your tank, and get a new sending unit for accuracy.

PS: Don't bother with Genright. They are WAY too expensive and they are not bolt on in a YJ. Two of them are not bolt in and require frame, exhaust, and body work to mount. The other one is bolt in but requires chopping and welding the sending unit to fit the different tank height. That right there is likely going to make accuracy incorrect also. Stick to the tank you have as long as you can confirm it's plastic which I'm pretty certain you can. Just take a closer look.
Well you are correct again! It is indeed a plastic tank. Now that that has been confirmed, where do I find documentation on how to do the vent mod? I ran her out of fuel and only put about 14 1/2 gallons in to fill it. I probably could live with it the way it is when I thought it was a 15 gallon tank but if I’m already carrying 20 gallons, I want to be able to use it!

Well you are correct again! It is indeed a plastic tank. Now that that has been confirmed, where do I find documentation on how to do the vent mod? I ran her out of fuel and only put about 14 1/2 gallons in to fill it. I probably could live with it the way it is when I thought it was a 15 gallon tank but if I’m already carrying 20 gallons, I want to be able to use it!
Watch this...

Well I learned something new today. My 92 has a plastic tank under the metal skid pan.

I never looked that closely at it but do have to drop it to fix or change the sending unit/ pump.
I actually have my tank down right now. Integrating a tow harness into my factory wiring harness back there (the loom above the tank for the rear lights), gonna go ahead and do a new pump, sending unit, and skid plate. Going with Warn. Fun stuff.

Yeah, figured so. It's easy to look at the skid and think otherwise. The hose mod is relatively easy, but can be a bitch if the factory tightened your hose clamps in such a way that it's hard to get to the bolt heads on the clamps. But the YouTube video flyer shared will show you how to do it for sure. It's not that bad, and totally worth it. You will sit on full for about 80-120 miles after you do it, anytime you have a full tank. That's no big deal though.

Reactions: Whiplash2130
I actually have my tank down right now. Integrating a tow harness into my factory wiring harness back there (the loom above the tank for the rear lights), gonna go ahead and do a new pump, sending unit, and skid plate. Going with Warn. Fun stuff.
Post some photos of your progress. Very interested.

Yeah, figured so. It's easy to look at the skid and think otherwise. The hose mod is relatively easy, but can be a bitch if the factory tightened your hose clamps in such a way that it's hard to get to the bolt heads on the clamps. But the YouTube video flyer shared will show you how to do it for sure. It's not that bad, and totally worth it. You will sit on full for about 80-120 miles after you do it, anytime you have a full tank. That's no big deal though.
I may opt to try to find a replacement fuel sending unit and drop the tank in the future. So if anyone has information about where to get such a unit, post here!

Post some photos of your progress. Very interested.
Sure, I’ll take some tonight. This is my first time fully dropping the tank in 7.5 years. I halfway dropped it in 2014 so I could get good access to the hoses to do the 5 gallon mod, and I installed my bumper and tire carrier back then. The bumper is WAY easier to install with the tank lowered some. But I had a full tank that day unfortunately and I couldn’t wait til I was empty, so I couldn’t lower the tank because it gets really difficult to handle when it’s full.

Anyways, I hated that bumper and can’t believe I kept it so long. I bought the ARB bumper/tire carrier a few months ago and laziness has kept me from finishing the install. It was being really difficult to get some of the bolts installed, so I decided I’d drop the tank. I needed to drop the tank to do the tow harness wiring anyways because I want it all tucked and hidden in the factory loom, and then I’m going to recess mount a 4 way and 7 way combo connector to the bumper. So this will be great, I’m going to kill a bunch of birds with one stone in this operation.

I may opt to try to find a replacement fuel sending unit and drop the tank in the future. So if anyone has information about where to get such a unit, post here!
Lots of times the issue with our tanks is the design of the fuel sump bucket they used. They come with a plastic box that is riveted to the bottom of the tank. Over time it warps. It usually bulges some which pushes into the path of the floater on the sending unit snd keeps it from being able to lower all the way down. So it messes with your end of the tank readings. One solution is buy a newer aftermarket tank but that’s expensive. Usually in the $300s range. I found one for $265 at gas tank depot so I’m going to try it out. Some people rip out the factory bucket but then you can starve the fuel pump if you take a sharp turn or hit an incline when the fuel level is below a 1/4 tank or so. So that’s why I’m trying the new tank.

I am going to get an MTS fuel injection sending unit and buy it without the pump they sell. I will source a Bosch 69544 pump and install that into the MTS unit. All of that combined with the new tank should provide for an accurate reading. One of my pics shows a warped factory sump bucket. The other shows the bottom of an MTS tank. MTS molds a little box into the shape of the tank, which holds fuel for the pump and will never warp because it’s part of the actual tank plastic.

610C0BF5-94EF-4D92-8C6A-E610A08776F6.jpeg

3893D1C2-536E-4C25-96A3-6B46A8DB24BB.jpeg

Wow! They are pretty proud of those! I had aluminum boat tanks welded up in custom sizes for half the cost about 2 years ago. I also don’t see any information on a sending unit. Maybe it’s included. Maybe not!

I have one on my TJ, it's a work of art, I kid you not! I'd buy it again too in a heartbeat ;)