Fuel Additives

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
For years I've always added a can or SeaFoam to the tank in several of my cars thinking it helps in the long run. I know the spray in the induction does in fact work very well but never sure about anything in the tank.

So based on several internet forums (Has to be true :) ) I tried the recommended Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner which comes in the quart bottle for about $12, not the small 5oz additive fuel conditioner. I must say that now, after 3 tanks, I do notice a change with the engine running smoother with better response and slightly improved MPG's in all cars. Whenever possible I run Sunoco gas in the cars because it's a Top Tier fuel and not the grocery store junk. That in itself makes a huge difference.

I know everyone has an opinion about these things which cover the entire spectrum. Just saying I've tried it and this makes a difference for me.

YMMV.
Cheers.

For years I've always added a can or SeaFoam to the tank in several of my cars thinking it helps in the long run. I know the spray in the induction does in fact work very well but never sure about anything in the tank.

So based on several internet forums (Has to be true :) ) I tried the recommended Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner which comes in the quart bottle for about $12, not the small 5oz additive fuel conditioner. I must say that now, after 3 tanks, I do notice a change with the engine running smoother with better response and slightly improved MPG's in all cars. Whenever possible I run Sunoco gas in the cars because it's a Top Tier fuel and not the grocery store junk. That in itself makes a huge difference.

I know everyone has an opinion about these things which cover the entire spectrum. Just saying I've tried it and this makes a difference for me.

YMMV.
Cheers.
Another carb and fuel injector cleaner that I used for years was good old auto trans fluid. Was told about it by an old mechanic years ago. Apparently a lot of folks were using it because I have seen warnings on newer vehicles that say not to use it in the fuel because of throwing readings off on sensors. But for carborated and earlier EFI it was the cats ass.

SHILL alert?
no year car told, this old car does not like E10 fuel; at all, FUEL SYSTEM END TO END. do not use snake oil in any YJ. got it?
snake oil usage is never wise. unless desperate. ( but why make it worse)?
the store fuel , comment 100% false.
and Seaflom is no good. it can even poison the 02 sensor.(as pale oil can) see all that smoke you made, not good for O2 or the expensive CAT. sorry NOT

the Fuel you buy at all stations if full of safe cleaners, now, no need to at more.(besides the E10 ethanol part) that melts 30 year old plastic fuel parts.(all)
do not put it in your tank, this oil or the Isopropanol .

View attachment 121905

do not use any of this in any 30 year old car, that does not allow for E10 and doesnt.\\\\

This is from the article,
Seafoam
  • Pale Oil 40.00 - 60.00 % ( a cute name for Stoddard solve or paint thinner (oil based) never put oil in any fuel tank for sure EFI.
  • Naphtha 25.00 - 35.00 %<, this white gas , seen in camps stoves..(also used in zippo lightersl) why add gasoline to gasoline, ?aka Heptane
  • IPA 10.00 - 20.00 % Isopropanol, is afuel dryer and may be safe for plastics but is silly to use in E10 fuel, it is 10% ethanol now.
Summary: Seafoam is mostly a lubricant known as Pale Oil which is used for upper cylinder lubrication. The white smoke from “seafoaming” through a brake booster is huge quantities of pale oil wrongly referred to as “carbon” on YouTube. The solvent is Naphtha which is an an old school solvent, marginally effective for carbon deposits. IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) was used as a fuel stabilizer and water absorber years ago. IPA boosts your octane levels, giving you more power and a better running engine while in use. Gone with the next tankful.
Seafoam Deep Creep
  • Pale Oil 40 - 70 %
  • Low Odor Base Solvent 30 - 60 % CAS# 64742-96-7 and 64742-47-8
  • IPA 10 - 30 %
  • Carbon dioxide 3 - 7 %
Summary: Deep Creep is not Seafoam in a can, its Seafoam’s equivalent of WD40 and PB Blaster. The Low Odor Base Solvent 30 - 60 % CAS# 64742-96-7 and 64742-47-8 = Kerosene.
Seafoam Spray
  • Pale Oil 40.00 - 60.00 %
  • Naphtha 25.00 - 35.00 %
  • IPA 10.00 - 20.00 %
  • Carbon dioxide 3.00 - 5.00 %

pale oil words mean
A petroleum lubricating or process oil refined until its color (measured by transmitted light) is straw to pale yellow.
why burn oil in any EFI engine, looking for trouble
he only good part is the heptane.(naptha) maybe. but the bad undoes the good,. burning oil makes nasty carbon, the MPI system is not to burn oil.
ever.(as fuel)

IMO
nice shill though.
No shill alert, just saying what I've seen. I'll agree with Chevron Techron. I've been using that in a diesle tractor for decades. When you say "Clean fuel will do the same" I'll agree but again after four tanks with the Lucas in a 2010 Equinox and my 92 YJ I've noticed a distinct improvement with cold starts and idle. They seem much smoother now on cold mornings. As for the gas station gas there is a huge difference. two tanks of Kroger gas and the mileage is down and acceleration is worse. Walmart is no better. About five years ago I read about the Top Tier rating given to gas to attain the most efficient performance, A new Suncoco station had it and I didn't know just how bad my car was running until I switched vendors. Living in the Houston area I know many people in the gas and oil industry and they use to say regular is regular regardless of the station. Once you upgrade to mid or premium you'll notice a difference with their proprietary additives like Techron blended in. I think with the Top Tier ratings you'll see various regular octane fuels now have a higher level of quality and some additive in them also, with this rating the various companies are now meeting the new standard. Five years ago there was only a few station listed. https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/

No blue smoke from this LOL. I only add 3 oz's per 20 gallons, not mixing in a quart per gallon.

For a 2016 Silverado with GDI... Ugh. There's DIY stuff out there or pay the dealer $$$ to do it.

Read your owners manual. It advises against the use of any additive or "cleaners"
why use snake oil in any car,?
if you drive the car, the fuel cleans the injectors 24/7, DD driving there is no need for any snake oil.

is this a shilling post from snake oil sellers,
this topics has no end, and with millions of contractions and useless consensus. (and worse, anecdotal opinions)
the worst is what oil brand to use, (pure emotional religion like options.) <<<must be purple? or even blessed by a QUEEN?
or watch TV , do as the talking heads say? really?
worst of all 100s of products all fighting for your too loose ? cash . ?
google shows 17million hits, wana read all those.? wow.

if all you do with any car (EFI) is just watch it sit doing nothing then bad fuel happens and now clogged 10micron screens inside the injectors.
and is a whole other topic, repairs.
the jeep users guide is clear. no?( gas engines) for decades said clear as day in the glove box, nobody can read.

Materials Added To Engine Oil
The manufacturer strongly recommends against the
addition of any additives (other than leak detection dyes)
to the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and
its performance may be impaired by supplemental
additives.

fuel

Indiscriminate use of fuel system cleaning agents should
be avoided. Many of these materials intended for gum and
varnish removal may contain active solvents or similar
ingredients. These can harm fuel system gasket and
diaphragm materials

so mixing chemistry , blind or worse, is not good.
who'd of thunk it.?(sic)

Ru
Read your owners manual. It advises against the use of any additive or "cleaners"
if you drive the car, the fuel cleans the injectors 24/7, DD driving there is no need for any snake oil.

this topics has no end, and with millions of contractions and useless consensus. (and worse, anecdotal opinions)
the worst is what oil brand to use, (pure emotional religion like options.) <<<must be purple? or even blessed by a QUEEN?

if all you do with any car (EFI) is just watch it sit doing nothing then bad fuel happens and now clogged 10micron screens inside the injectors.
the jeep users guide is clear. no?( gas engines) for decades said clear as day in the glove box, nobody can read.

who'd of thunk it.?(sic)
Rules and manuals are for chumps.

who'd of thunk it.?(sic)

Cleaning is NOT the problem....It is the drying and caustic effect of any ethanol in the petrol. My credentials? 30 plus years of transporting all forms of petroleum products from crude on up. Watched the addition of ethanol and its destructive effects on fuel systems and the extraction of sulphurs from both diesel and gasoline that now makes them a very pale example of what they used to be as far a preventive to fuel system failures. As a previous poster mentioned, I HIGHLY recommend Lucas injector cleaner on any and everything gasoline powered added to every tank. It keeps everything it contacts "Wet"and pliable as far as O-rings and diaphragms go and keeps the tiny rods and seats in the injectors the same.....If you run diesel, I do both...These are my go to Guys and Gals for all fuel and oil additives...Excellent products and OUTSTANDING customer service.

Reactions: Flyer58 and ytradio