Freeze plugs

SqLites

Supporting Member
My '94 4.0L 5-speed has 225,000 mi and has leaking freeze plugs. My mechanic (who has worked on my Wrangler for 27 years) has informed me that this is a fairly comprehensive job. Although the engine doesn't need to be fully extracted, it, nevertheless, requires disassembling the exhaust manifold to access the (I believe) 5 plugs. From what I've read, and the mechanic has recommended, I should opt for the original stock metal plug replacements, not the rubber ones. I've noticed that it has leaked about 2 oz. of coolant over the past month with minimal driving. Also, with the exhaust manifold disassembled, the gasket replacement is a no-brainer. Does anyone else have experience with this repair? Any other suggestions?

SQLITES

With that mileage Id be tempted to install the expansion rubber ones. IIRC there is also 1 or 2 behind the bell housing. If those are shot as well then the trans or engine needs to come out to access them. Back to the another engine or not delima if its tired.

Reactions: redbullet
I just did this repair. I used the copper plugs with the lip and put a light layer of sealant on the plug to aide the installation. clean the hole in the block with sandpaper. the ones under the bellhousing were not leaking so I left them alone. Make a note that one of the plugs under the bellhousing is your Cam retainer plug and will not need to be replaced. When you install the Copper Expansion Plugs remember the process is TAP,TAP,TAP not BAM,BAM,BAM !

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
I just did this repair. I used the copper plugs with the lip and put a light layer of sealant on the plug to aide the installation. clean the hole in the block with sandpaper. the ones under the bellhousing were not leaking so I left them alone. Make a note that one of the plugs under the bellhousing is your Cam retainer plug and will not need to be replaced. When you install the Copper Expansion Plugs remember the process is TAP,TAP,TAP not BAM,BAM,BAM !
Like Happy Gilmore said “just tap it in, give it a little tapy, tap tap taparoo.”

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep