Fender liners and splash guards

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
During the restoration of my 92 YJ I removed all the torn and broken rubber/plastic wheel liners and splash guards underneath the engine which were holding buckets of dried mud behind them. I've sprayed undercoating over 75% of the area underneath to protect it.

Has anyone replaces all those pieces or am I better off keeping them out? One drawback of keeping them off is it's loud when the tires pick up little rocks and fling them against the wheel wells. I haven't even started shopping to see if anything is available.

Cheers.

If it’s used off-road and it makes it easier to clean, I would leave them off. Mud being held in an area like that is almost as bad as salt. However, I have seen pieces made to take at least part of the job over out of those blue plastic sleds, the kind that role up. Yea the blue is not as pretty as black would be, but haven’t seen any black material like this.

Reactions: Flyer58
I like to have them but so far in Texas I haven’t had any of them in years and it’s been fine. It looks a lot nicer to have them. If I could find a clean set of the rear one I would reinstall those at least, but so far haven’t found any that were in better condition than the old cracked ones I removed ages ago.

Reactions: Flyer58
Thanks all, When I first started cleaning things up most of the guards were there but all were broken and torn. Even just spraying the hard plastic wheel liners caused them to shatter into splinters. At least now all the water just runs off and doesn't collect mud. I'll probably just load up on the undercoating.

I’m doing the same with my 92 YJ. I personally like having the liners in the front to keep stuff from flying into the engine compartment. If your looking to replace the front splash shields I found this set. The website is www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com

6FDE17B0-6F26-4367-95F5-44FCB90CDC67.png

Reactions: ytradio and Flyer58
I’m doing the same with my 92 YJ. I personally like having the liners in the front to keep stuff from flying into the engine compartment. If your looking to replace the front splash shields I found this set. The website is www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com

View attachment 118638
I ordered some of those a while ago actually. they are decent, but mostly useless if you have a body lift. I have a 1.25" body lift and I couldn't hardly make any of it work. Especially not the ones under the engine. Unfortunate. Be cool if they made a body lift version which gave you slightly taller liners.

Reactions: Justin Schuring
Oh wow I didn’t know that. Thanks for the info/reply.
Sure. Don't get me wrong, very nice products from Detroit Muscle Tech. they replicated stock completely. They just didn't really fit right anymore with the body lift I have. They still clip to the fenders fine, but when they hang down they don't cover the fender to frame gap as much. Also, with the one under the crank to the radiator, with my motor mount lift it cleared the motor fine, but my radiator went up with the body lift which was pulling on the liner too much and pulled it up into my crankshaft pulley. So overall that one didn't work at all. Great products, just not really applicable to a body lift setup. If you have no body lift I am pretty certain they would be perfect.