EU wire harness to US tail light

Darkjerre

Hello to jeep fans from around the globe, I'm located in Europe where my Jeep YJ has a different harness from the US version.

In europe (export models) the harness to the rear has 4 wires

- Reverse
- Turn
- Brake
- Driving light

on the US lights there are only 3 wires

- Reverse
- Driving
- Brake / Turn

I've tried simply linking the turn into the brake wire but when connected and turn -> turn OK, when braking -> brake OK. But when turning and braking -> brake wins (and not the turn signal). I knew it was not that simple :)

I did some diging around and find some posts from US to EU (aka trailer setup) conversion or kits but nothing that does the opposite.

the under dash is quite a mess so I hope someone can help me in the good direction who has done that conversion?

Thanks a lot,
Jeroen

Exactly what are you wanting to do?

1: Switch out your EU setup and totally convert to the US? (I'd check with local laws before committing to this)

2: Keep the EU setup, but can only find US taillights? (if you are having trouble finding export taillights with amber signals, quadratec has them)

Agreed with above that we need to now what you’re trying to do, and if you’re trying to convert to the US combined turn signals, you need to make sure that’s legal before you do. I can’t fathom why you’d want to do this actually, separate Amber for turns is always better/more noticeable.

The reason you can’t just splice the wires together is that you need a mechanism to interrupt the brake light when the turn signal is on. Otherwise the constant brake signal when you’re on the brake overrides the turn signal and you end up with a constant illumination still even though the turn signal is on.

The factory handles this by running the brake wire to the turn signal switch in the steering column. 1 brake wire goes in, out comes 2 turn signal/brake wires, and one goes to each side. Those wires will carry turn signal, brake, and then in the case of turn signal AND brake, the turn signal switch disconnects the constant brake power so that the turn signal can blink.

IMG_3360.jpeg

Exactly what are you wanting to do?

1: Switch out your EU setup and totally convert to the US? (I'd check with local laws before committing to this)

2: Keep the EU setup, but can only find US taillights? (if you are having trouble finding export taillights with amber signals, quadratec has them)
thank you for your reply. I'm wanting to convert totally to a US setup. At the time of writing this reply I'm also in the process of getting a 3-2 wire trailer connector, intended for connecting a trailer to an EU harness (i.e the same issue I'm facing). I'm still interested in finding out if I cannot "simply" disconnect some relais and get that to work but will update here either way.

Agreed with above that we need to now what you’re trying to do, and if you’re trying to convert to the US combined turn signals, you need to make sure that’s legal before you do. I can’t fathom why you’d want to do this actually, separate Amber for turns is always better/more noticeable.

The reason you can’t just splice the wires together is that you need a mechanism to interrupt the brake light when the turn signal is on. Otherwise the constant brake signal when you’re on the brake overrides the turn signal and you end up with a constant illumination still even though the turn signal is on.

The factory handles this by running the brake wire to the turn signal switch in the steering column. 1 brake wire goes in, out comes 2 turn signal/brake wires, and one goes to each side. Those wires will carry turn signal, brake, and then in the case of turn signal AND brake, the turn signal switch disconnects the constant brake power so that the turn signal can blink.

View attachment 122373
I'll check that under the steering column. And indeed as you stated when "simply" combining them the brake wins over the turn signal.