Does anyone know where I can find the tool to remove this security lug nut?

smripper

Does anyone know where I can find the spare tire security lug nut that will fit a 1988 Jeep Wrangler? So far I have been unable to locate the matching key and no luck with every dealer in the area. Tried to drill it out, but every bit I have would hardly leave a mark on the hardened steel. Hate to cut up a perfectly good original wheel, but I am running out of options. Thank
IMG_1718.JPG
you.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't have one. Do you have a local tire store or auto parts place nearby that could match it?

I've heard of this method but never tried it. Don't hit your hand like this guy does :)

Does anyone know where I can find the spare tire security lug nut that will fit a 1988 Jeep Wrangler? So far I have been unable to locate the matching key and no luck with every dealer in the area. Tried to drill it out, but every bit I have would hardly leave a mark on the hardened steel. Hate to cut up a perfectly good original wheel, but I am running out of options. ThankView attachment 115917 you.
Hammer a 12 point socket on it. No need or justifiable reason to damage a perfectly good wheel over a keyed lugnut. Please do not do that, in the end, it work anyways.

i just used a 12 point socket that was just a hair too small onto my locking lug nut and it came right off.

I actually got lucky and tried a 6 point 7/8” impact socket. I have very little 12 point sockets. But 12 points provide greater increases in “bite.”
5F1C92B8-79BF-4A09-87BB-89A33711B9F9.jpeg
07866B79-D67F-4168-9F5F-5DCFE22CB13F.jpeg

I hammered it on, deformed the locking lug nut so that the socket had something to bite on, and it came right off.
C014A6C9-F95D-4CC4-AAD3-9CB72C80D28E.jpeg
A9D0BAFF-7F25-4BD1-849E-37C7CF795397.jpeg
8AA10493-7CD2-4B5E-8976-D8483DF0B848.jpeg

Once the locking lug nut was off the wheel stud, it was stuck inside the socket. I used a bearing race driver (one could easily use a screw driver) and slide the race driver into the back of the socket, used a hammer and knocked the locking lug but right out of the socket. Repeated until I had them all off.

Does anyone know where I can find the spare tire security lug nut that will fit a 1988 Jeep Wrangler? So far I have been unable to locate the matching key and no luck with every dealer in the area. Tried to drill it out, but every bit I have would hardly leave a mark on the hardened steel. Hate to cut up a perfectly good original wheel, but I am running out of options. ThankView attachment 115917 you.
Looks like yours may have come from McGard. Pretty certain the dealers never put locks on YJs so I don't think you'd ever in a million years have luck getting them to get you a key. Send a pic to McGard customer service and they may be able to ship you a socket that works. I lost my keys 2-3 times and they were always able to tell what I had from a picture and send me another.

Or, do what fouledplugs said and just hammer on a slightly smaller socket. I finally got a full set of newer lug nuts and will never use the locks again. What a PITA.

Thanks to everyone for the various suggestions and methods. My new tires arrived and ran out of time, so i went with the quick & dirty 12 point socket solution. I had no intentions of using this lug nut again, so hammered on the 12 point socket, inserted the breaker bar and like magic it came right off.

Reactions: Fouledplugs