Dead Jeep, no power

RedDog1993

Hello to all, ran into an issue and looking for thoughts and ideas.1993, 4.0, now 4.6, AX15.
The other night while waiting for my wife to come home, I drove up to our entrance gate and opened it for her. As I was sitting in the jeep enjoying the evening temperatures and listening to music, the jeep just abruptly died. Would not restart, would not do anything.
When I turn the key to the on position there’s no check engine light, no fuel pump prime, no rely clicks, no starter, nothing, just silence. When I continue forward to the starting position, the parking break light illuminates but that’s it.
Radio works, temperature, fuel, volt gauges work, headlights work, blinkers, etc all work. There is no neutral safety switch, rebuilt AX15 transmission.
I’ve checked all ground stations and they are clean and tight. All positive battery connections are also clean and tight. Battery is new, and until I used the winch to pull the jeep back into my shop was fully charged, currently hooked up on trickle charger to restore from winching.
I jumped the starter and it is functioning properly, all starter connections also clean and tight.
I just finished a extensive restoration on the jeep. In the last year or so nearly every component has either been replaced or rebuilt, it’d be easier to list what hasn’t been replaced, power steering pump, seats, PCM.
In the last two weeks I completed a 4.6 stroker install and now have roughly 200 miles on it, during that time everything has been functioning properly.
I’m suspicious of the PCM. I know a key on with no check engine light is a clue. I’ve taken the PCM out and inspected it. I had to replaced over ten years ago when the jeep developed a crank and no start issue. Opened the PCM and noticed the capacitors were replaced at some point and next to the aluminum fin things another area was also worked on.
Checked all the fuses in the cab and at the battery, they are good, power on both sides. I used a test light and verified that power was coming into the PCM harness at all the proper locations. I could make the check engine light come on, the up shift light, the relays click etc.
Then I swapped to grounds and checked them. Heres where things get interesting. If the key is in the OFF position, my test light illuminates in all of the proper grounds, however if I turn the key to the ON position they don’t illuminate. Not sure if this is another clue.
I’ve ordered a new PCM and now patiently waiting for it. Until it arrives I’m just double checking that there isn’t another underlying issue. I’ve also verified there’s power is coming through the ignition switch.
Any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcomed.

IMG_1494.jpeg

Last edited: