D30 Build

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I've ordered all the internal parts for the build and Santa should be here Friday.
But I still need some steering stuff.
I'm looking at RC 18050.83 tie rod kit and RC 6605 drop pitman arm.
Any thoughts, experience?

No experience with the tie rod kit although I will probably go with something similar.

The pitman arm is pretty generic, almost all the pitman arms I've seen have come with the same exact numbering and stickers on them no matter where I got them. I had issues with most of them, where the material is too soft and after being installed, it stretches and works it's way up the steering sector shaft. Then the nut is loose. Keep an eye on the nut and retorque it a few times and eventually the arm will stop stretching, stay in place, and retain torque.

I decided to try Rubicon Express RE2500 this time around, it did not have the same stickers or numbering as all the other brands, so it's at least different to some degree. The powder coating did feel the same so we will see if it's the same material or if it actually retains shape and nut torque like the factory arm. I torqued it to 185 the other day and two days later it was still tight, so there is hope. So far, I would recommend RE over the others. It's cheaper too at $45 for RE vs $50 for RC.

They all have the same drop. They say for 2.5-6" of lift but really it's just a roughly 1.5" drop, so the arm never really gets you as good as possible no matter how much lift you have.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Kind of figured parts is parts and probably go with the RC stuff.
Not top of the line, but I don't need the best
Did go with Spicer BJ kit's when I made made my order from ECGS.
Probably could have got this other stuff or similar there too, but I was so excited ordering the goodies, I forgot to ask.
Got all my cleaning stuff tonight, oven cleaner, purple stuff, break parts cleaner, cat litter and a case of beer.
Clean-up starts tomorrow, parts should be here too, but by then I'll be in no fit state for driving to pick them up at work.
The cat litter is actually for the cat :LOL:

Not a bad clean-up at all.

Shiny.
P4200054.JPG

Parts are here, I'll pick them up Sunday when I'm at work.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Another possible option is a tie rod flip bushings from Go-Fer-It.
They offer the inserts in standard or 1 ton.
Will have to bore out the knuckles and do little welding. No biggy.

Another possible option is a tie rod flip bushings from Go-Fer-It.
They offer the inserts in standard or 1 ton.
Will have to bore out the knuckles and do little welding. No biggy.
How much of a lift do you have?

I have a 2.5" lift/no body lift and did the Go-Fer-It tie rod flip and ended up with my drag link below my tie rod when my YJ was off the jack stands. So I flipped my drag link so it was inserted to the top of my pitman arm with another go-fer-it insert welded in. You'll also likely have to cut off the axle-side trackbar mount.

You can see the mark on the diff cover on the "X" shows how low the tie rod used to sit.

How much of a lift do you have?

I have a 2.5" lift/no body lift and did the Go-Fer-It tie rod flip and ended up with my drag link below my tie rod when my YJ was off the jack stands. So I flipped my drag link so it was inserted to the top of my pitman arm with another go-fer-it insert welded in. You'll also likely have to cut off the axle-side trackbar mount.

You can see the mark on the diff cover on the "X" shows how low the tie rod used to sit.
I've got 2.5"
I ordered the Rubi heavy duty tie rod kit with 1/4" wall tube and 7/8" TREs.
Thinking about putting a couple of small, strategic "kinks" in it, maybe add gussets.
Don't think that's gonna compromise the strength enough to worry about.
Though I'm still tossing around the flip.
Your's looks good and that might just send me there.
Good tip on the pitman!

Yeah, I saw that on cutting off the track arm mount, what did you use to do the job?
I'm thinking Sawsall? Maybe zizz-wheel? Not using it anyway.

You know you're talking me into this? Right?
BTW, how do you like that OX?

Last edited:
Got my ball joint press kit w/Dodge-Jeep adapters, now I can take my time figuring out use it.
Could have rented one, but I like to own my stuff.
It'll probably get used more for U-joints than anything else.
It's always nice to have an investment in the right tools!

Did you end up going the same route as me? OTC press and stuck the OTC jeep adapters in one of the empty pockets? Ideal setup IMO, I don't regret spending that money at all, even if it's rarely used. I also decided to keep my harmonic balancer rental this time, I've used them enough, it's a hassle going to the store for one each time you need it. AutoZone gave me a new one this last time so I said screw it, for $26 it's mine.

I have not had luck using the press on u-joints, usually they are seized in place that the ears bend before the joints give. At least for the times I've tried. I end up having to hammer the joints out. Definitely enjoy having the tool collection though. Another good one is hose clamp pliers. Cable actuated clamper that makes working with factory spring clamps easy as can be. I don't like the worm gear clamps because they leak, so I like having the proper tool to make the difficult, better clamps easy to manage.

Trying to think of the other oddball tools I use for my vehicles. Not coming up with any but I'm sure there are more that I'll think of eventually.

I did get the OTC, and they did pack the Jeep adapter kit into the empty pockets in box!
I didn't get the deal you got with your's, but being a mechanic, I never regret investing in tools.
Well, you know, how valuable is your time vs. an investment?

Nice nice. I just happened to be lucky with that deal. I fully expected to pay full price and I was going to all along, I just happened to be lazy on pulling the trigger and then that killer "used/damaged packaging" option fell in my lap so I had to pull the trigger. The parts are worth the money regardless of full or discounted price. Great tools.

And yes, paying for tools is worth it if it saves valuable time. Although, naturally I seem to lose that time in other ways anyways, such as the latest engine project lol. But yeah, always good to have the tools regardless.

Another interesting tool was the Melling MCAT62 oil pump pickup installer that I just used today. Grips the pickup tube and then you hammer on the end of it to install the tube. Very handy.

It is a nice kit!
Good tip on the pick-up tube tool, not that I'm planning any serious engine work soon, but Jeeps being Jeeps, one never knows.
As I can see you know entirely too well...

Hey buddy, I just discovered the difference between Wj and YJ lower ball joints.
I'm going to have to cut off the nub on the ball stud to get it all the way out.
It bottoms out in my remover cup about 3/16" short of coming out.
Otherwise the press worked brilliantly knocking out the uppers!
That took all of about 2 minutes, and was worth every dime.

Hey buddy, I just discovered the difference between Wj and YJ lower ball joints.
I'm going to have to cut off the nub on the ball stud to get it all the way out.
It bottoms out in my remover cup about 3/16" short of coming out.
Otherwise the press worked brilliantly knocking out the uppers!
That took all of about 2 minutes, and was worth every dime.
It’s just a different taper. The same ball joint adapters are recommended for the JK and WJ as they both use the same ball joints. What is the issue? I was able to install the WJ joints with the same tool too….good the other stuff came out easy.

It’s just a different taper. The same ball joint adapters are recommended for the JK and WJ as they both use the same ball joints. What is the issue? I was able to install the WJ joints with the same tool too….good the other stuff came out easy.
My install tool doesn't fit either, but there is a machined stub on the end of the threads that I can see no purpose for.
Smells like a Chrysler thing, so that you have to buy "Their" special tool.
Anyway, no big, they're coming out, it doesn't matter if I destroy them.

Got the old Ball Joints out, but they were brinnelled, which has compromised the press fit of the stock Spicers.
My Spicers almost don't need a press to install, not good.
OMIX splined joints are ordered, we'll see what happens...Also ordered Loctite 64- something bearing lock as a last resort.
But I really don't want to fuck around with something as critical as ball joints, this has to be right and right the first time.

Last edited: