Crankshaft problem

92YJDave

Hello all, new here and this is my first post. I have a 92 yj with a 2.5. Computer went out about 9 years ago and it has been sitting in my garage since. Finally started working on it a few weeks back. Put in Amazon computer and started it up. I only ran it for about 30 seconds. Changed fluids new distributor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, cps, map . Started it again and ran like crap. Noticed that the harmonic balancer is out of line with the rest of the pulleys. Replaced it and new one is same. Looks like crankshaft has moved about 1/4 inch towards the radiator. Not a mechanic and no idea how to proceed.

I’d probably pull the oil pan and examine the thrust bearing. Thrust bearing locates the crank relative to the block. For the harmonic balancer to be out of line with the other pulleys, that’s some pretty significant crank walk. Maybe the thrust bearing broke. Hard to say without pulling the pan and examining, unfortunately.

Clutch pressure on the flywheel also can cause this, but that takes a long time to happen.

Thank you. Will I have to pull transmission to replace if broken?
To replace just the thrust bearing, I don’t think so. I’m not sure if you can just buy a new bearing like that though, there are specific measurements the bearings are sized to to fit your block and crank and maintain proper oil clearance.

Less likely, but also possible, is that the crank itself is worn down and walking and the thrust bearing simply can’t keep it in place. But it’s more likely the bearing, that’s the wear part.

Just FYI, the one you’re looking for is the big one front and center in this pic below. It is main bearing #2 in the 2.5L, so should be the second one from the front.

IMG_4486.jpeg

Update. I dropped the oil pan and everything looks good inside. Thrust bearing is present and crank turns fine. Harmonic balancer is bottomed out and still is not lined up. I don’t get it??? guess I will pull the timing chain cover tomorrow.

IMG_1397.jpeg

Huh, Looking at some pics I took during my rebuild it looks like my crank pully is almost right up against the timing chain cover and the timing marking are almost above the edge of the pully. Is it possible the crankshaft key got crooked or the washer under the bolt isn't right? Remove the pully again and make sure it's not hitting something which prevents it from going all the way on. Maybe put it on the shaft (temporarily) without the key just to test how it's seated.

1714015320390.png

1714015727202.png

Brand new. Just took old one off because I thought it was bad. Put new one on and it sits exactly the same.
Sorry, forgot you mentioned replacing it in the first post.

Are you able to move the crank back and forth with a pry bar? Ideally you’d check that at the flywheel end but since the trans is installed you might try to do some prying at the front. You might still have crank walk, hard to say with the thrust bearing seeming to check out.

flyer makes a good point too that it could possibly be in how the damper is installed, but if both dampers ended up exactly the same, I’d be surprised if that would be the problem.

Huh, Looking at some pics I took during my rebuild it looks like my crank pully is almost right up against the timing chain cover and the timing marking are almost above the edge of the pully. Is it possible the crankshaft key got crooked or the washer under the bolt isn't right? Remove the pully again and make sure it's not hitting something which prevents it from going all the way on. Maybe put it on the shaft (temporarily) without the key just to test how it's seated.

View attachment 122810

View attachment 122811
That’s how mine used to look.

No problem. I mentioned the key because I once had one get a dent in it which prevented the pully form going fully in place. You should be able to pry the key out and make sure both channels where the key goes are clean. The new pully shouldn't be any problem.

Reactions: 92YJDave