Clutch problems

Atenchion21

Hey there! So here's what happend to me, I was driving home from work and my clutch seized on me in 5th gear. Long story short I got it home cracked it open. And became kinda at a loss on what to do. I was expecting to see more inside of it but I don't.

So my question is, as far as I'm aware this is an ax15, shouldn't it have a clutch fork? And a bolt to hold the slave cylinder in place? I've never worked on a transmission before let alone done anything with my clutch. I'm a little bit mechanical inclined but I'm still learning so bare with me if I sound like an idiot.

I bought a new clutch already from extremeterrain. And I'm going to get a new slave cylinder. Anything else maybe I should look into?

Snapchat-447020973.jpg

Messenger_creation_91afcea9-5ee9-4521-b3b4-3f7a1e612267.jpg

The 93 or older that you have based on the internal throwout bearing shown in the second pic, means that no, you do not have a fork. That throwout bearing in your pic extends out on it's own under hydraulic pressure. It's really called an internal slave cylinder which means when the hydraulic slave cylinder (part of the TOB) goes bad, you have to pull the transmission to replace it. It is essentially a combined throwout bearing and slave cyllinder. 1994 started the external slave cylinder, which utilized a fork and throwout bearing inside the bell housing, and an external slave cylinder mounted to the exterior of the bellhousing that pushes on the fork. That was a much better and less problematic design. It is common these days to swap internal slaves to external. We haven't been able to buy a good quality replacement internal slave in many years, and pulling the trans every year or two is pretty annoying, so eventually many people swap.

What does the clutch locking up in 5th mean? The clutch is not partial to any specific gears. Was the transmission not wanting to come out of 5th? Were you able to get it into other gears and drive those gears? Need more info. I would guess you have a transmission problem but can't really say without knowing more about what happened.

You didnt say what year your jeep is, however what you have is the early style internal slave cylinder. No fork, just that hydraulic throw out bearing which is the part with the 2 lines and the bellow around it. Buy a Luc kit off Rockauto and be done with it. Typically new slaves come with new masters and are ready to install. I am curious though what it is jammed in the PP at about the 10 position? Im also afraid to ask what clutch kit from extreme XXXX aka 4wp parts in drag, sold you? Hope it wasent one of their $500 over priced, not necessary jobbers.

This is a 92 and, sorry for the lack of info on what happened. As I said I was driving home. Approached a light and when I went to try and downshift I physically couldn't pull it out with ease like normal. I think I'm decently strong and the thing wouldnt budge . It released once I took the shifter out and played around with the transmission from there and it came out of 5th gear. And seems to be free for now. I fired it up after reinstalling the shifter and it did make some sort of weird sound but I had no clue what or where it came from. Shut it off, and I've been in this process since.

That is the wiring for the transmission 🤣 I got out from under it and forgot to take a picture of what it looked like under there and showered already so I didn't wanna crawl under it for a better one

How did you get home after it got stuck in 5th? Did you have any problems shifting in or out of 1st-4th? 5th gear is know to have issues of it's own with retainer clips coming off but I don't know the symptoms.

Helpful hint: The new slave will come with two plastic retainer clips on the sides to keep the slave compressed. DO NOT remove those clips during the installation or it will be more difficult to get the transmission mounted back in place. They come off by themselves the first time you use it.

might be low on fluid, when did you last change fluid. i know that sound silly, but it happens.

Hope you didnt wrestle to hard on the shifter s you could bend a shift fork. Doesn't sound right that even stopped not running it would not come out of 5th. Running I can understand if the TB was not working or the PP springs/fingers/parts were broke. With the trans out you should be able to shift thru every gear easily with perhaps a tad of rotation back and forth on the trans input shaft. if not something internally is likely damaged. I dont recall if you said 4 cyl or 6cyl. If its a 4cyl you have a AX5 which arent particulary strong when used spiritedly we'll say.

Well I got further today and pulled the piolet bearing...I think she's a little broken, but I put the new one in no problem. So easy day, hopefully tomorrow the transmission will go in and all is fine. However, I've got a different question now 🤣 sorry. How screwed am I? I was going to put the new clutch cylinder in the transmission, and the pin that is supposed to go into the front plate to hold it in place doesn't slide in. I saw somewhere you have to replace that entire front plate on it...I read it while working quickly and just kinda cussed for a seconds then returned to install the clutch itself....so am I F'd?

Edit: can I drill the hole out or something?

Screenshot_20240412_193847_Gallery.jpg

20240412_194253.jpg

Last edited: