Clutch master cylinder broken for the third time

Sam

Hey I just wanted to know if this has happened to other people, and if so how did they fix the issue. For the third time now, my YJ's clutch pedal has given out completely while driving, just dangling freely. The first two times I had it towed to a repair shop where they replaced the master cylinder. Since this is recurring within a couple years, I towed it home instead to see if I can figure out why this keeps happening. Anyone else have any info about this? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

I've never seen that happen. What part is breaking? The shaft or the bolt that goes through the pedal?
It seems to be the O ring around the plunger thats driving the master cylinder that is failing. No pressure is being applied to the system when the clutch is pushed. I'm getting a new master and slave system in a few days so hopefully all will be fine aftee that. Just hope i wont have to do this for a fourth time in a year.

It seems to be the O ring around the plunger thats driving the master cylinder that is failing. No pressure is being applied to the system when the clutch is pushed. I'm getting a new master and slave system in a few days so hopefully all will be fine aftee that. Just hope i wont have to do this for a fourth time in a year.
I'm having the same problem. On my third one. What was the solution?

This is what I was going to suggest..........

I have not had mine apart yet to see the parts or how it works but if it's always the same o-ring then I suspect it's more likely the push shaft has a nick in it and is cutting the rubber ring.

I have not had mine apart yet to see the parts or how it works but if it's always the same o-ring then I suspect it's more likely the push shaft has a nick in it and is cutting the rubber ring.
When the fluid goes bad and moisture collects in the system...The surfaces that the O-ring slides on become pitted with rust and destroy the sealing ability of the ring, Hence Limp pedal.....I'd replace with an entire kit. The lines come attached to the slave cylinder
on the kit I used.

Reactions: Flyer58
When the fluid goes bad and moisture collects in the system...The surfaces that the O-ring slides on become pitted with rust and destroy the sealing ability of the ring, Hence Limp pedal.....I'd replace with an entire kit. The lines come attached to the slave cylinder
on the kit I used.
Yeah I change my fluid every three years or so. Many owners never change the fluid.

I’ve replaced the whole system twice and it just failed again. Was using the advance auto parts kit now trying oreilly (Napa doesn’t carry it anymore). Anyone figure out what causes this to fail?

I’ve replaced the whole system twice and it just failed again. Was using the advance auto parts kit now trying oreilly (Napa doesn’t carry it anymore). Anyone figure out what causes this to fail?
Oreilly's kit was awful for me, replaced 4 or 5 of them in 4 years. Not sure what advance auto sells, have a pic?

The "why" for why they fail is cheap manufacturing of parts. It is unfortunate.

So I’ve done some more research and apparently the LuK CRS032 is the kit you want to get that fits the 94-95 YJ. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find that one anywhere. Anybody know another brand that doesn’t fail all the time?

So I’ve done some more research and apparently the LuK CRS032 is the kit you want to get that fits the 94-95 YJ. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find that one anywhere. Anybody know another brand that doesn’t fail all the time?
the luk and the other options on RockAuto have all looked identical to me. That's why i want a pic of what failed for you. I want to see if you were running something similar to the oreilly crap I had, or if you have something similar to the Luk.

Hey I just wanted to know if this has happened to other people, and if so how did they fix the issue. For the third time now, my YJ's clutch pedal has given out completely while driving, just dangling freely. The first two times I had it towed to a repair shop where they replaced the master cylinder. Since this is recurring within a couple years, I towed it home instead to see if I can figure out why this keeps happening. Anyone else have any info about this? Anything would be greatly appreciated.
the luk and the other options on RockAuto have all looked identical to me. That's why i want a pic of what failed for you. I want to see if you were running something similar to the oreilly crap I had, or if you have something similar to the Luk.
Not with the Jeep right now but the last time it failed at where the piston connects to the master, it would just move freely and not compress the fluid. Pretty sure they were the oreilly type one

Not with the Jeep right now but the last time it failed at where the piston connects to the master, it would just move freely and not compress the fluid. Pretty sure they were the oreilly type one
As soon as you get a chance, post a pic of the master. Oreilly types are usually cast iron/metal. The better ones are usually a mix of plastic and other stuff.