Clutch dumping itself

Kaelinator

Hi y'all,

I have this issue that's been going on for several days now in which my clutch just disengages at the bottom of the throw. It happens every so often. It has happened from neutral to first (causing me to stall), 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and 3rd to neutral. I even had it happen while the Jeep's engine was off and the transmission in first gear. I just kinda pumped the clutch to see if it'd do it and it did.

When this happens it's very jarring. I can only imagine what it's doing to the tranny. Not to mention it causing me to stall when taking off. Causes me a whole lot of stress while driving and I try to change gears less often.

It'll happen maybe once on a drive to the grocery store. Sometimes it doesn't at all. Other times it'll do it 4 times.

I replaced my master and slave system months ago with an already bled assembly from Autozone. I'm running a 5.7 hemi with a dodge Dakota bell housing, flywheel, and clutch kit to the ax15. It has ran fine for months with the occasional clanking noise (I believe originating from the bell housing) when I press or release the clutch pedal very quickly.

I removed my slave cylinder and noticed that the little pushrod is very wobbly at the end of it's throw. Could it be slipping out of it's place in the clutch fork?

It almost feels as though the pedal isn't correctly connected to my master cylinder, but I've tripped checked that linkage and it isn't one that seems to lend itself to intermittent and complete disengagement.

There are no signs of a leak from my master nor my slave cylinder. That being said, I'm having trouble unscrewing the master cylinder's reservoir cap to check the fluid level.

I am installing a new Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kit DF066178 which should be more than able to handle the power I'm making, if that's what is causing the issue.

Wanted to make this thread because I don't see much information on a self-dumping clutch online anywhere. I will keep y'all updated on the install, results, and potential carnage.

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
I would try Imodium first. If that doesn’t work the next step would be Depends Incontinence line of products. All kidding aside, can someone chime in with advice for Kaelinator?

IMG_5187.png

My guess would be the master/slave cylinder assembly from AutoZone went bad. I went through 4 of them from O'Reilly in 4 years. They never dumped the clutch on me but there would be times I'd press the clutch and would get absolutely no gear shifting. On one of them the clutch would get stuck on the floor and not want to come back. Utter junk. I'm not sure if O'Reilly and AutoZone come from the same place, the O'Reilly one was cast iron whereas the stock parts are plastic. The stock stuff is better but getting harder to find.

When I rebuilt mine I went with the LUK clutch assembly kit because it had the highest reviews and ratings. I still have the OEM master and a new LUK internal slave. All I know is after three years it all still works well. I think I went through Rockauto.

When I rebuilt mine I went with the LUK clutch assembly kit because it had the highest reviews and ratings. I still have the OEM master and a new LUK internal slave. All I know is after three years it all still works well. I think I went through Rockauto.
I have the same. Worked fine though I haven’t driven the Jeep much. Unfortunately can’t find the luk one specifically anymore. Hopefully not discontinued but it seems to be.

Reactions: Flyer58