Cleaning the door lock / latch

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
Nothing special but today I had time to clean the door latch for the full doors I've been working on. The latch looked like a 32 year old chunk of coal with dried grease and dirt. Same goes for the window crank gear assembly. Now both work smooth and silk.

Obligatory picture:

1716151630411.png

Reactions: Chris and ytradio
I did mine a month or so ago along with new interior and exterior door handles, and for some reason the lock mechanism now catches when I lock them with the key so I can’t unlock them without prying on the lock from the inside with a flat screwdriver. I can imagine I messed something up on one side, but BOTH sides do it! I gave up and took the doors off completely 🤣

Reactions: Flyer58
I was fitting the outside door handle and found the handle part seems to be loose (floppy) with no spring to help keep the flap handle flat. There is a coil spring on one end but it's not attached to anything so it just rotates. Maybe it's broken. Looking at some youtube videos I see others have a lever spring but mine still looks different. It has a similar little post but no spring. I didn't check the right door yet to see if they match.

If the door latch is installed and adjusted correctly the latch spring should keep the flap handle closed flat.

I also need to paint the handle. No idea what type of paint the previous owner used but the slightest amount of solvent washes it off.

Broken coil spring?

1716171927424.png

No spring near the post

1716171986882.png

Mine were similar; I decided to just replace them rather than painting such irregular surfaces and sourcing odd springs.

Reactions: Flyer58
I did mine a month or so ago along with new interior and exterior door handles, and for some reason the lock mechanism now catches when I lock them with the key so I can’t unlock them without prying on the lock from the inside with a flat screwdriver. I can imagine I messed something up on one side, but BOTH sides do it! I gave up and took the doors off completely 🤣
Reading some Amazon reviews one customer had this locking problem and said the locking rod needs to be unclipped and adjusted about 1/16 inch longer.