Bucking YJ

Brian

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
It is hard to describe, but a lot of times I am starting off or trying to idle in a parking lot and it starts bucking. It is not engine related I don't think. Sitting in neutral it idles smooth even as I increase increase RPM's. Best way for someone to duplicate it is to drive your vehicle and tap the gas on and off. Make you jeep jerk and that is what mine is doing. In my head I feel like has something to do with having such a high ratio rear.

By chance is it doing this only while making a sharp turn on pavement?

I have had this happen before in a truck but never found the reason and changed my driving habit.

It's like there's a lot of slack in the drivetrain.

I have had this happen before in a truck but never found the reason and changed my driving habit.
No, Straight runs. I had a chevy 4x4 with auto locking hubs. In a hard turn the bearings? would somehow engage the hubs. Then it would jerk until I backed up and released them

Last edited:
What codes is your engine telling you…I had a similar problem. It was code 11 and I replaced the distributor to fix it. See guide here:

Thanks but there are no codes. Just went thru all that for a different issue. I had a Bronco that had a frayed wire in distributor and would shut down whenever it would advance. Definitely. a good thought though.

It's like there's a lot of slack in the drivetrain.
It is like there is slack.....so what was your driving habit?

It is like there is slack.....so what was your driving habit?
It would happen to me while in stop and go traffic and i was creeping along at idle in 1st gear. I ended up leaving a bigger gap between cars and getting the rpm's up over 1000 to catch up.

Reactions: Brian
It would happen to me while in stop and go traffic and i was creeping along at idle in 1st gear. I ended up leaving a bigger gap between cars and getting the rpm's up over 1000 to catch up.
Mine is in my driveway and parking lots, but there are always bigger fish to fry with this jeep! Always something else to fix

Last edited:
I think you are describing driving a YJ. The unforgiving suspension and the torquey engine makes for a very OFF and ON feel of the gas pedal at low speed. If you start bucking, let off the gas and allow it to calm down, then go again. The key is learning to be super smooth with the pedal.

Even after many years of mastering it, you’ll still be jerky sometimes. Especially at slow speeds on rough roads.

Reactions: Brian
I think you are describing driving a YJ. The unforgiving suspension and the torquey engine makes for a very OFF and ON feel of the gas pedal at low speed. If you start bucking, let off the gas and allow it to calm down, then go again. The key is learning to be super smooth with the pedal.
Thanks, I will keep learning. Just didn't know I needed rodeo school first!