Body panel replacement

When my Jeep was drivable I spun out in the snow and hit a telephone pole. That was fun haha. The damage caused was to the rear quarter above the wheel well. I don’t know if I want to do the body work, pulling the dent, bondo, etc, or just buy a new panel. It bent the top where the rail runs for the soft top. I’ve never done any body panels and want to know if it’s a bolt up job or do I need to weld the new panel on? Thanks

When my Jeep was drivable I spun out in the snow and hit a telephone pole. That was fun haha. The damage caused was to the rear quarter above the wheel well. I don’t know if I want to do the body work, pulling the dent, bondo, etc, or just buy a new panel. It bent the top where the rail runs for the soft top. I’ve never done any body panels and want to know if it’s a bolt up job or do I need to weld the new panel on? Thanks
If it were me and the Jeep was worth it, I’d do my research on replacment body panels, some brands are likley better than others. I would have it done by a pro body shop as it requires cutting and welding.

Reactions: Justin Schuring
That panel will require some cutting and welding if you want to replace it. Do you know anyone with a welder? It's not a difficult job if you're in that line of work but it's time consuming.

Have you tried pulling it back into place. I don’t know how premo your YJ is but you can probably make it usable, at least as far as getting the soft top to fit again by just pulling it back out. Using a 2 inch ratchet strap wrapped around a tree with the other end hooked to the part of the Jeep that needs to be pulled will probably do most of the work for you. If more leverage is needed try using a come along. A body hammer and dolly can straighten up areas where you are able to get to both sides. After you do this you may decide that panel replacement is not needed. If it’s fairly close, add some bondo and sand it down and see what you have. Most places that mix and sell auto paint can still put it in a spray can for you. I have my own paint and body equipment but I have seen some pretty respectable jobs done this way.

I haven’t tried pulling it back into place yet. I think that’s the route I’m going to go. The soft top still connects as of now. I just want it to be as straight as possible. Thanks for the info I definitely will be giving that a try.