AX15 transmission fluid recommendations?

Brush Beater

can someone recommend a fluid weight and type for the ax15 tranny. calls for gl-3(obsolete), then a gl-4 75-90 non synthetic or gl-5 with no additives and non synthetic. auto parts are no help at all. can I use the 10-30w sinthetic?

You can get a conventional GL-4 at Summit Racing etc.

You can get GL-4 Redline syn many places, but it is $$$.

You can use a GL-5 only if it states yellow metal safe.

Jeep states you can use a 10W-30 synthetic. Personally I have 0W-40 synthetic in mine because that's what I use in the 4.0.

I’ve turned into not being such a big fan of redline after trying others. Lately in my Tacoma 6MT (Aisin trans that also calls for 75W-90 GL4) I have run Sta-Lube conventional (both 85W-90 and SAE140) and Ravenol semi-synthetic.

I like the SAE140 Sta-Lube the best - but I am in Texas where the fluid warms up quick. If it’s cold I need to double clutch for a few shifts. I’m sure the AX15 won’t be any different when I start driving my YJ again.

Overall I definitely prefer conventional though or at least synthetic blend, not full synthetic. YMMV.

Just fyi if you were to take your jeep into a chrysler dealer they will put either 5w30 or 10w30 into an ax15 so that's good enough for me

thank you Pman for your reply.just bought the oil today and will get on it as soon as I can.went with10-30 because of availability. I appreciate the help

Reactions: Pman
Just fyi if you were to take your jeep into a chrysler dealer they will put either 5w30 or 10w30 into an ax15 so that's good enough for me
They'll also put ATF+4 into an AW4 because they wanted to simplify their supply train once the AW4s went out of warranty.
But in this case engine oil in the 10w40...ish range has roughly the same viscosity as 80w90 gear oil. You won't have some of the additives that makes gear oil gear oil but these transmissions return good service with engine oil in them vs gear oil.

Diffs need the EP additives because of the "sliding" action between the hypoid gears. There seems to be less need for a constant mesh transmission to have the same properties in it's oil.

They'll also put ATF+4 into an AW4 because they wanted to simplify their supply train once the AW4s went out of warranty.
But in this case engine oil in the 10w40...ish range has roughly the same viscosity as 80w90 gear oil. You won't have some of the additives that makes gear oil gear oil but these transmissions return good service with engine oil in them vs gear oil.

Diffs need the EP additives because of the "sliding" action between the hypoid gears. There seems to be less need for a constant mesh transmission to have the same properties in it's oil.
Something must have changed over the years, because I remember the viscosity of the two being nowhere ne’er the same.

Something must have changed over the years, because I remember the viscosity of the two being nowhere ne’er the same.
This is from an AMSOIL blog post. 15w40 or a 20w50 would probably be closer to right than 10w40.

Comparative_Viscosity_Chart_550wide.jpg

This is from an AMSOIL blog post. 15w40 or a 20w50 would probably be closer to right than 10w40.

View attachment 121493
That’s interesting to see. I used to run Valvoline 50 weight racing oil in a couple of worn out truck engines and I was sure at least at that time that it was much thinner than the 90 weight that I was constantly adding to the leaking diff. I have learned something.

Thanks ytradio. I'm going with the 10-40w synthetic for the first oil change then see how it looks.. Cool temps here and slow trail riding, so not a lot of strain or heat build up.