Auto to manual swap?

Even if I can talk him down, it seems it will still be less of a hassle to just go ahead and buy a new one.
Certainly would provide some peace of mind if the money isn't a problem. The only real downside is still needing a bellhousing, whih seems to be around 2-300 on eBay for used and about 350-400 brand new at Novak or AA based on the last time I checked.

Here is a decent bellhousing for $200 with free shipping. Not bad, I think that's honestly the best bellhousing deal I've ever seen for an AX15. They're usually around $300 and maybe more with shipping. You might want to jump on that one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=283935066322

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
Looks like the same thing deadjeep has for $172 w/free shipping.

Damn, even better. I'd buy from them then. Looks like it may not have the slave cylinder studs but those can be sourced easily and don't cost too much.

The ebay link says Deadjeep at the bottom of it too. I noticed that with a few other things. The items they sell are a little more expensive on ebay. I wonder if it is because ebay gets a percent of the sale.

Well, I called the guy, but he declined an offer for 400. I told him well I guess I'll be better off buying brand new.

I am going to see what I can work into my budget. So far I bought the stick shift lol. I figured I start off with the harder to find items.

The ebay link says Deadjeep at the bottom of it too. I noticed that with a few other things. The items they sell are a little more expensive on ebay. I wonder if it is because ebay gets a percent of the sale.

Well, I called the guy, but he declined an offer for 400. I told him well I guess I'll be better off buying brand new.

I am going to see what I can work into my budget. So far I bought the stick shift lol. I figured I start off with the harder to find items.
Probably so. I haven't looked into it much but when I see things by them I want, I'll definitely go to the website to see about a better deal there.

Damn, he's crazy. I'd rather new for sure. 600s is too much IMO for something with so many miles. That is evidenced by the fact that it's been for sale for over 2 years as well. I doubt anyone will ever buy it at that price. Oh well.

Buying the shifter isn't a bad thing, the one that comes with a new transmission is rather useless. It has to be heated/bent, and painted. It's difficult to bend it in such a way that works well in a YJ. Mine is still unbent and sitting on a shelf somewhere in my garage or house. I opted to reuse the factory shifter and mate it into the shift tower on the new transmission. Worked well.

Have you bought a transmission from them before? The other thing I would like to go ahead a grab is the Transfer Case shifter. Idk if I can find out if they sell the 2 bolt or 3 bolt like you were explaining in earlier posts. I can probably email them and find out.

Have you bought a transmission from them before? The other thing I would like to go ahead a grab is the Transfer Case shifter. Idk if I can find out if they sell the 2 bolt or 3 bolt like you were explaining in earlier posts. I can probably email them and find out.
Yeah I have a newer AX15 I got a few years back. Works really well. My old one always shifted like crap and made a bunch of noise. The newer one works great. They shipped it to a local FedEx location and I went and picked it up and they loaded it into my truck for me.

Transfer case shifter will be fine, you just need to make sure you buy the one for a 4.0 AX15. Deadjeep and eBay almost assuredly will have at least one you could use. I'll look and see if I find any.

Boom. This is the one you need right here. Easy to find. Sort of expensive, but that's not really a surprise.

Excellent. I will order that tonight, inner shift boot, and bell housing. Then everything else will be brand new, so I can wait on that for the time being. I have decided to buy new front driveshaft and do the SYE.

Basically the SYE will replace the whole rear shaft and I don't have to worry about 93 to 94 yoke conversions?

Excellent. I will order that tonight, inner shift boot, and bell housing. Then everything else will be brand new, so I can wait on that for the time being. I have decided to buy new front driveshaft and do the SYE.

Basically the SYE will replace the whole rear shaft and I don't have to worry about 93 to 94 yoke conversions?
Sweet. Gonna be a great setup when you get it all done. Probably a good call on the SYE and new front driveshaft as well.

The SYE will replace the tail shaft in the transfer case and the type of yoke it uses. The yoke differences from 93 to 94 are at the rear axle itself. 93 uses 1310 u-joint, 94 uses 1330. Since you have a 93, you should have a 1310 u-joint. So just get the driveshaft built to have all 1310 u-joints and you'll be good to go.

On a somewhat related note, it would be cool if you could take some pics of the transfer case when you remove it. Novak claims that an automatic jeep uses a long stickout length on the transfer case input gear shaft. Manuals supposedly always use a short stickout. My manual always used short, but Novak is known for being wrong. I'm curious what your auto had from the factory. The pic circles them and you can obviously see the differences. Curious to see which one you have. If you have the short one, you will be good to go for the AX15. If you have the long one, you'll probably have to swap it to a short gear or else I believe it bottoms out on the bearings inside the AX15 and can damage the transmission. So try to remember to take some pics if you could.

IMG_1493.jpeg

Yea, I am looking forward to it. It will take me a little longer to acquire the parts as I am going to buy here and there and budget it out better. Didn't know about the drive shafts at first and now getting a brand new AX15 is bringing it up some more, but you are right that it will be a better deal in the long run.

I can't remember where I saw it, I think it for a post on Jeepforum and someone converted their Cherokee. He had to saw off about an inch and half or two inches from the the shaft on the AX15.

Yea, I am looking forward to it. It will take me a little longer to acquire the parts as I am going to buy here and there and budget it out better. Didn't know about the drive shafts at first and now getting a brand new AX15 is bringing it up some more, but you are right that it will be a better deal in the long run.

I can't remember where I saw it, I think it for a post on Jeepforum and someone converted their Cherokee. He had to saw off about an inch and half or two inches from the the shaft on the AX15.
Yeah it’s not a real rush, buy when you can. Not a big deal. Worth it to get good quality parts.

hmm, Cherokees are a bit different since they had different automatics from the factory so their transfer cases were setup a bit different. I do know that all of them can be fixed with no sawing by swapping the gear in the transfer case which you can easily do during the SYE process. It only adds a few extra steps. Hopefully you won’t have to mess with it at all, apparently lots of YJ autos came with the same short shaft as the manuals (contrary to what Novak says) so it very well may work as it is. Just have to see later.

New trans will come with the base bolted down. You can press a collar inside the shifter to pop that stick out of that base, and install it into the base that comes with the trans. So that issue is solved.

Knobs, I like the Hurst style from Core Shifters. I got a black one for each my transfer case and transmission so they match. Nice products.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
My boss has a neighbor with a rotting TJ out in his in yard he is looking to buy and scrap out. He thinks it has an AX-15 and will probably give me a good price on it.

As long as it's a 99 or prior and a 4.0 it will be an AX15. If it's 2000-2004 then it's an NV3550 and I wouldn't want it. There are no differences between TJ and 94-95 YJ AX15 other than the shifter stick so you would be getting a proper fit transmission with no differences which is good. Probably would want to do a fluid flush on it with Redline MT90.

I've been buying for Deadjeeps for a while, why don't you just call them, they're nice people. let them put together a package for you for what you want. You're buying bits and pieces and it's going to eat your debit card up! Just call em, tell em what you're wanting to do ,and at least get a price. ;) I have no affiliations with them, I just buy their stuff as they have a lot of stuff!;)
dne'

(401) 642-0236

Reactions: SirDoopYJ