Are my wheels going to fall off?

TRevs

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m trying to track down a clunk/rattle from the rear end, and I found that both rear wheels do this:

I know nothing about drum brakes; is that normal? I took the wheel and drum off and didn’t see anything obvious. I re-torqued the lug nuts and it still clunks.

Both rear wheels clunk; neither of the front wheels with discs do.

Is that the ‘C’ in Dana 35C?
The C in 35C is for ‘custom’. Chrysler ordered them without brackets from Dana, so they were incomplete, or, "custom."

C-clip axles are 90/91-95. A small amount of in and out play is normal, but not much. The clips themselves are only maybe 1/4” wide at the most, so if the axles moved more than that the clips would fall out. It probably sounds and looks more drastic than it actually is due to shaking the tires like that.

I doubt you have a problem but it may be worth taking the wheel off and measuring the amount of in and out play you have.

Last edited:
Just to be sure you are not getting any up and down movement are you? Like in bad wheel bearings. If they are worn you'll have a good growl sound from the rear end as well. Google up D35 spider gear replacement and watch one of the the youtube vids and you will learn what were talking about.

Just to be sure you are not getting any up and down movement are you? Like in bad wheel bearings. If they are worn you'll have a good growl sound from the rear end as well. Google up D35 spider gear replacement and watch one of the the youtube vids and you will learn what were talking about.
I don’t think so. There are a lot of noises but I don’t think any of them are bearings. Exhaust leak, lifters etc yes.

At the moment I’m searching for the source of a creak when the rear axle hits small bumps. The springs and bushings are pretty new, so I don’t think that’s it. Can old cracked body mount bushings creak/clack?

There are endless places creaks and rattles can come from. I spent months trying to diagnose what was sure was bad ball joints. The metallic clunk was driving me nuts trying to find it. Ended up being the hood or hood hinges making the noise. How, I have no idea but a added some rubber snubbers and no more clunk.
Mind you my 91 had seen little if any off road beating and the OEM bumpers ect were still in good shape. Urethane leaf bushings are notorious for creaks and squeeking. Make sure the spring plates/U bolts are not loose also.

Thanks for the advice. I’m not super bothered by it but will try a few things when i have time.

Right now my priority is to lower the “junk” quotient so my wife will be less mortified riding in it.

Reactions: JronATL
Urethane leaf bushings are notorious for creaks and squeeking. Make sure the spring plates/U bolts are not loose also.
With my 18-y/o jumping in the bed of the Jeep , I was able to localize the noise to the front bushing of the left rear spring. I removed the bolt, lubricated and re-torqued everything and everything is much less creaky now. Thanks!