Arch in stock springs

ytradio

YJ Enthusiast
I recently bought an 89 with suspension lift and 3" body lift. I plan to do away with the body lift, but not sure how much lift is in the suspension. Does anyone know how many inches of arch is in the factory springs from the center of spring top to the spring eyes?

If thats the case there is quit a bit of lift in my springs. I will measure tomorrow but my best guess is at least 4". With the 3" body lift and 35's my 5'6" wife had to get a step stool to get in. It won't be staying that high.

Measured this afternoon before leaving for work as best as I could without getting into too much work, and it looks like 6" of arch on the springs. Also shackles are 4" bolt center to bolt center. Anyone know the length of the stock shackles?

Measured this afternoon before leaving for work as best as I could without getting into too much work, and it looks like 6" of arch on the springs. Also shackles are 4" bolt center to bolt center. Anyone know the length of the stock shackles?
Are there any part numbers on your springs you can use to identify them? It's kind of hard to accurately measure spring arch.

4" shackles bolt to bolt is stock, so you have no lift there.

That’s the next move, to try and find any markings. I am still in the pressure washing and taking apart stage. Thanks for the info guys.

Just remember for 33 inch tires a 3-1/2 - 4” lift leaf spring is ideally required.

For 35’s, add a 1.25-1.5” body lift with the 4” springs.
I prefer the lowest possible suspension on a YJ combined with a body lift, so that I can have the easiest experiences with steering angles, ride quality, driveshafts, etc. that ride quality sure goes out the window the higher you go. The only downside to my method would be buying suspension twice if you change your mind and go 35’s, but I’ve made up my mind that no 35’s are ever going onto mine. So for me the body lift and lower suspension route made more sense, especially so I could tummy tuck, motor mount lift, and still run 33’s with decent ride quality and handling.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I have taken the 35s off and have new Mastercraft 31 1050 mt s on now. Some people think I’m crazy for putting new tires on a none running vehicle. But the wheels will be doing a lot of taking off and put back on so the 35s were a real pain. And I knew that I wasn’t keeping that size and I need something so I can roll it around. Also it’s easier to see where it is that you want to go with the lift and all. So, I have 4 tire that doubled the value of my Jeep,,,literally.