Arb locker leak (new owner)

bigzee

Hey everyone, first time YJ owner here and new member đź’Ş. Looking forward to plugging into this community.

The YJ came with an ARB rear locker that is having an issue. Compressor turns on and charges no issues. When I engage rear locker the compressor continuously runs. I jacked up rear and verified wheels are locked (both spin same direction in neutral).

So I chased the line and couldn’t find a leak going from compressor to the Dana 44 rear axle. What I did find is there is an air sound coming from a tube connected to the left side of the axle (circled in photo). The end of the tube where air is leaking has a Danco white cap, any idea what this is??? See pics.

I’m assuming what’s happening here is a bad arb seal housing inside and the air is somehow charging the entire axle or maybe a bad pressure switch over pressurizing. If it’s a leak it’s weird that locking works. My first Jeep so sorry if this is obvious. What do you guys think??

C25DDD80-6042-4C09-BA77-3E99F908AB60.jpeg
BA1CC596-B488-4E5E-A5B8-D5284475419D.jpeg
79C8AE3C-CDB4-4325-8F1D-8ED077E60AAA.jpeg

That thing looks like a BEAST!
I have absolutely no idea what might be leaking in your diff. However, your theory sure seems likely, if the compressor can "keep up" with the leaky locker, there is no reason the locker couldn't work (I would think).
I have zero experience with air lockers, only a basic understanding of their functionality. I do have some experience with differentials. If the air is leaking into the diff, the air would definitely be dispelled out the breather tube. Again, your theory seems likely.
Hopefully someone with a bit more experience chimes in here.

On a side note, some military vehicles run slight positive air pressure in the diffs. It keeps water out during deep water crossings. So there's that 🤷‍♂️

Sure hope you get it figured out
-Russ

Last edited:
Can’t offer much about the locker but the nipple and hose in question are
the factory axle breather and dust cap.

I’m guessing the locker is letting excess air outside of itself into the axle which is now escaping through the axle’s breather fitting.

After reading your post again looks like you came to the same theory I just typed. Yeah, I would assume one of your ARB o ring seals is bad. I hear of those going bad and I THINK this is what happens when they do. You might search bad ARB o rings and see what comes up.

Thanks for the tip that this is a breather. That helped me find this video of someone showing the breather venting …

After some googling around I think the issue I’m having is the same, a broken bonded seal, highlighted in image …

F036225C-A332-48AD-A703-7014640574B9.jpeg

I think that explains why it stays locked but compressor keeps cycling. Changing the seal is not something I’m gonna DIY, going to get a price to have a shop redo seals.

I checked with my buddy who knows ARBs and he said it’s basically a for sure sign of a bad o-ring. Not sure if that’s the same part as the bonded seal you referenced. Common thing for o rings to go bad in ARBs though unfortunately.

This is why I have a hard time understanding ARB’s heavy following. Seems like I hear of them leaking quit often after not that much use.

This is why I have a hard time understanding ARB’s heavy following. Seems like I hear of them leaking quit often after not that much use.
Seems like that problem was a lot less common in the 2000-2010 range than 2010 to now. My buddy says manufacturing changed at some point (not sure when) and ever since that's when things went downhill. They still have the name from before and people still buy them, but definitely it is a problem point. There is a big Jeep shop in Arizona that pushes everyone to Eaton e-lockers instead now because too many customers returning with ARB issues.

For a while, I think ARB felt like the only selectable option. Not much info was out there about Eaton e-lockers, barely anybody used them and I think people were scared to be one of the first to use them. Then 6-7 years ago they started being talked about more and they came up with better engaging mechanisms as well as maximizing how many gears inside the unit they had. I think they upped it from 2 to 4 in most models.

Anyways, I don't want lockers, but if I did, I would 100% go Eaton. I would not entertain an ARB these days personally. Not that I wouldn't run it if it came in a Jeep I bought though. Just wouldn't go that route if I was buying lockers to begin with.

Seems like that problem was a lot less common in the 2000-2010 range than 2010 to now. My buddy says manufacturing changed at some point (not sure when) and ever since that's when things went downhill. They still have the name from before and people still buy them, but definitely it is a problem point. There is a big Jeep shop in Arizona that pushes everyone to Eaton e-lockers instead now because too many customers returning with ARB issues.

For a while, I think ARB felt like the only selectable option. Not much info was out there about Eaton e-lockers, barely anybody used them and I think people were scared to be one of the first to use them. Then 6-7 years ago they started being talked about more and they came up with better engaging mechanisms as well as maximizing how many gears inside the unit they had. I think they upped it from 2 to 4 in most models.

Anyways, I don't want lockers, but if I did, I would 100% go Eaton. I would not entertain an ARB these days personally. Not that I wouldn't run it if it came in a Jeep I bought though. Just wouldn't go that route if I was buying lockers to begin with.
Yes, I like the E locker and the Ox, not sure which one that I will eventually chose.

Yes, I like the E locker and the Ox, not sure which one that I will eventually chose.
either seem to be reliable enough. I would not be a fan of being forced to use Ox diff covers, or routing cabling should one choose their cable lockers. I don't think either brand is more prone to failure than the other though, so I'm sure either will be a solid choice. I know @jeepjoe43 likes his, assuming he's used them some. I know his has been parked a while so he might not have that much seat time with his Ox's. Not sure if the front is installed yet.

• USA Proud
Reactions: jeepjoe43
either seem to be reliable enough. I would not be a fan of being forced to use Ox diff covers, or routing cabling should one choose their cable lockers. I don't think either brand is more prone to failure than the other though, so I'm sure either will be a solid choice. I know @jeepjoe43 likes his, assuming he's used them some. I know his has been parked a while so he might not have that much seat time with his Ox's. Not sure if the front is installed yet.

Not yet got the front together, but the D489 rear seams to to work well enough.
Mechanical locking diffs have been in use for a century, so the OX appealed to me.
I have read here there are some clearance issues with the tie rod on the front, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Reactions: machoheadgames
Posting an update ---->

It turns out that the ARB leak was due to outside temperature. When I was testing this it was below freezing but now with the warmer weather all leaking has stopped. I just took it out and had no issues with air leak / compressor runnign and I verified the locker is engaging đź’Ş. I guess these ARB seals are sensitive to cold temps or maybe I had some moisutre in the sealing surface.