Advice on protecting the tub from rust

SirDoopYJ

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My tub is in pretty good shape and there is some surface rust mainly on the foot panels. I was going to sand and clean it up along with the rest of the tub.

Is there any good brand of rust killer protector that yall use? Does this stuff even work? I have been using a Rustoleom brand.

After applying the rust protector, what is a good rhino liner to spray to protect from water?

I've used a rust converter product called GEM on several projects including a garage door across the street from salt water and they're all about the same. A good coat of paint is probably the best protections.

I'm looking into a product called Lizard Skin for heat and sound control on the inside of the tub.
LizardSkin - Spray-on Noise & Heat Insulation for Cars
I am now looking into this as well. Haha thanks, I have never heard of it. It would be nice to have a conversation with the lady when she rides with me haha

I haven't heard of it. Is it like a paint you spray on? The Rustoleom I use resembles a primer you add on before painting

No, this would go on after paint. It's a clear film that is very tacky almost like wax. You apply it several times a year and it will never allow rust to happen in the first place. This stuff works wonders, that's for sure.

I've used a rust converter product called GEM on several projects including a garage door across the street from salt water and they're all about the same. A good coat of paint is probably the best protections.

I'm looking into a product called Lizard Skin for heat and sound control on the inside of the tub.
LizardSkin - Spray-on Noise & Heat Insulation for Cars
Have you considered Lizard Skin yet?

I saw on a hotrod forum dated from 2006 that you can make the insulation by using exterior latex paint and Micro Balloons for a fraction of the price. I am thinking about trying it out for my interior.

Have you considered Lizard Skin yet?

I saw on a hotrod forum dated from 2006 that you can make the insulation by using exterior latex paint and Micro Balloons for a fraction of the price. I am thinking about trying it out for my interior.
I have not tried it yet. Micro balloons? Sounds interesting.

Started sanding what I thought was surface rust on my driver side panel, and I now have a few quarter size holes and some cracking going on. I am going to have to patch weld. Luckily that is the worst of it. Most of my tub interior still has the original paint job and clear coat. As much as I do not like the look of liner, I think it may be best to spray it on my tub to protect it from further rusting. I plan on driving it and getting it wet. May even drive it in the rain with no top.

Option 1: I am thinking about investing in the Lizard Skin and doing both the insulation and sound control. This plus the gun kit will be about $320. I don't know if I still have to do a liner on top of the Lizard Skin layer. I am not sure how well it will hold up with dirt/mud/water either.

Option 2: POL -Raptor liner, or a cheaper alternative (Raptor looked pretty good on a video I watched). I would then use the insulation mats, like noico or dynamat. I doubt this will do no good considering I plan on getting my interior wet, so I may be stuck with Option 1 if I want the insulation and sound deadning.

Both options I will be installing a carpet or a bedrug. I hear the bead rug is great against mud and water and doesn't seep it through.

Would it be wise to liner underneath the tub/fenders as well? More than likely the only way and best way to do it would be to remove the tub off the frame. I have no problem with doing this and would like to get a better look at my frame with it off.

Opinions? Thoughts?

I took out all the carpets and mats and removed my drain plugs. Keep your floors dry and clean after a ride and they should keep the rust at bay for a long time.

Reactions: SirDoopYJ
Need some advice on this. After researching, I think the best route would be to cut out as much of the bad as possible, weld in patches, and apply the por15 stuff?

20220205_104906.jpg20220205_104934.jpg20220205_104930.jpg

I also bought this, I would like to keep as much of the original floor. I may cut out what I need from the new pan or use it as a guide for my patches before returning it back to Quadratec:
20220206_085225.jpg

Need some advice on this. After researching, I think the best route would be to cut out as much of the bad as possible, weld in patches, and apply the por15 stuff?

View attachment 119267View attachment 119266View attachment 119265

I also bought this, I would like to keep as much of the original floor. I may cut out what I need from the new pan or use it as a guide for my patches before returning it back to Quadratec:
View attachment 119264
See how many places on the floor can be poked through with a screwdriver. When the metal is thin, cracked or rusted through you'll have a very difficult time welding to that weak metal.

I used about 90% of that same new pan and only cut off the very forward section. Much easier. Tack every few inches and tap with a hammer to get it to fit then fill in the short gaps in different locations so it won't warp.

fp5.jpg

fp12.jpg

fp15.jpg

Nice, that is a clean job you did. What did you spray on top? Just a coat of black paint?

Have you done anything to your floor's since or just painted it?

For 20 plus years on tons of projects I've used vht chassis coating. It's an epoxy paint. I drive though salt water quite a bit and no rust

Nice, that is a clean job you did. What did you spray on top? Just a coat of black paint?

Have you done anything to your floor's since or just painted it?
Just regular Rust oleum primer and black paint on both top side and bottom. I sprayed undercoating underneath and someday plan on spraying a protective bed liner coating on the inside of the tub.

Did you take the tub off to do the under coat?
No, I bought several cans of undercoating at Walmart and did the best I could to get all the hidden spaces on the crossmembers. I don't live in a harsh environment so anything should last a few years.

The base of the door pillar was also rusted out so I spent a week beating some sheet metal into shape to form a new one and also patched the outside skin. MIG welded everything in place.

Then sealed all the seams with some nasty body sealer like the factory had.

Not trying to hijack this thread but hopefully helping the OP and others.

sr3.jpg

sr4.jpg

sr7.jpg

fp7.jpg

sr10.jpg

Reactions: ytradio