Advice on protecting the tub from rust

Oh wow, your's were pretty bad. Luckily mine are no where near that extent. I have it on the corners of my driver's side pan on the tunnel cover side. Everything else in the interior is pretty much still solid.

For the side chamber on the and image, was it rusting from the inside? It looks like it was rusting in between. Mine has rust in the hole and along the cracks of the chamber. I couldn't tell you if it was rusting underneath, but I guess I would see it eat through the outside of the tub.

Oh wow, your's were pretty bad. Luckily mine are no where near that extent. I have it on the corners of my driver's side pan on the tunnel cover side. Everything else in the interior is pretty much still solid.

For the side chamber on the and image, was it rusting from the inside? It looks like it was rusting in between. Mine has rust in the hole and along the cracks of the chamber. I couldn't tell you if it was rusting underneath, but I guess I would see it eat through the outside of the tub.
Yeah it's strange because the right passenger side still looks new, even the paint, but the left driver's side was very worn and rusty. I think water did get between the door pillar and outer skin.

The outer skin was paper thin, maybe just paint and this is what it looked like after sanding. To buy that corner patch section was over $200 so I cut out the bad stuff and replaced it. Then added nutcerts for the rubber trim.

sr1.jpg

@Flyer58

Did the best I could sanding with a few wire wheels. I Sprayed Rustoleom Rust Reformer to protect until I can get a chance to cut and weld.

I also noticed that there seems to be some bed liner already sprayed underneated.

I should have did this day one. I just didn't think it would be this bad in a year. Might have been this bad to begin with.
20220211_152415.jpg20220211_152824.jpg20220211_155739.jpg20220211_160821.jpg20220211_162307.jpg20220211_162409.jpg20220211_162453.jpg

20220211_152818.jpg

Reactions: Flyer58
Yes you have to catch that rust early. It never sleeps.

I just caught the "Stick Red" Funny, I use to drive through there a while back going to Florida. Nothing beats being stopped in traffic on top of that bridge when it's bouncing up and down.

Yes you have to catch that rust early. It never sleeps.

I just caught the "Stick Red" Funny, I use to drive through there a while back going to Florida. Nothing beats being stopped in traffic on top of that bridge when it's bouncing up and down.
Aha, yeah I drive home from work in traffic on that interstate everyday. Luckily, I am on the East side of the bridge so it isn't as bad. My dad would have drive through every Friday to come home, but he would take an exit early before the bridge and cut through the back roads on the old Highway.

Started sanding what I thought was surface rust on my driver side panel, and I now have a few quarter size holes and some cracking going on. I am going to have to patch weld. Luckily that is the worst of it. Most of my tub interior still has the original paint job and clear coat. As much as I do not like the look of liner, I think it may be best to spray it on my tub to protect it from further rusting. I plan on driving it and getting it wet. May even drive it in the rain with no top.

Option 1: I am thinking about investing in the Lizard Skin and doing both the insulation and sound control. This plus the gun kit will be about $320. I don't know if I still have to do a liner on top of the Lizard Skin layer. I am not sure how well it will hold up with dirt/mud/water either.

Option 2: POL -Raptor liner, or a cheaper alternative (Raptor looked pretty good on a video I watched). I would then use the insulation mats, like noico or dynamat. I doubt this will do no good considering I plan on getting my interior wet, so I may be stuck with Option 1 if I want the insulation and sound deadning.

Both options I will be installing a carpet or a bedrug. I hear the bead rug is great against mud and water and doesn't seep it through.

Would it be wise to liner underneath the tub/fenders as well? More than likely the only way and best way to do it would be to remove the tub off the frame. I have no problem with doing this and would like to get a better look at my frame with it off.

Opinions? Thoughts?
I'll be spraying lizard skin sound deadening and thermal insulation then raptor liner on top. Believe I exchanged a few emails with a lizard skin rep and he recommended the product be covered with a liner as their product isn't intended as one and is a bit softer. I've got the products waiting to be sprayed hopefully in the next week or two. Will be posting updates on my build so watch out for that

Reactions: SirDoopYJ