Added 4" suspension lift, Need suggestions to fix steering now!

Superbird17

Recently added a 4" RC suspension lift. Kit came with everything, springs, shocks, longer pitman arm, track bar bracket, ect (no shims). This is new to me and since added the steering is a little jerky from side to side. It's not crazy bad, but it's there. I'm running 33's x 12.5 x 15 wheels and tires also. From research, I'm understanding that these lifts throw the caster angle off which causes this jerky steering.

I've read that some disconnect the track bar to help this movement, which I did and it help to make it manageable down the highway. To me, the track bar shouldn't be disconnected as it keeps the axle in-line and without it the only thing you're relying on to keep the axle in-line are the U-bolts.

I have spoken to a few YJ owners personally and I get some say to add shims and I've seen some without shims and all are sitting on the same 4" lift.

This is becoming confusing on my direction to correct, shims or no shims, track bar connected or disconnect....or is there something else ?

Thanks in advance

93 Wrangler YJ.jpg

Recently added a 4" RC suspension lift. Kit came with everything, springs, shocks, longer pitman arm, track bar bracket, ect (no shims). This is new to me and since added the steering is a little jerky from side to side. It's not crazy bad, but it's there. I'm running 33's x 12.5 x 15 wheels and tires also. From research, I'm understanding that these lifts throw the caster angle off which causes this jerky steering.

I've read that some disconnect the track bar to help this movement, which I did and it help to make it manageable down the highway. To me, the track bar shouldn't be disconnected as it keeps the axle in-line and without it the only thing you're relying on to keep the axle in-line are the U-bolts.

I have spoken to a few YJ owners personally and I get some say to add shims and I've seen some without shims and all are sitting on the same 4" lift.

This is becoming confusing on my direction to correct, shims or no shims, track bar connected or disconnect....or is there something else ?

Thanks in advance

View attachment 123461

Track bar on that lift is going. To cause you grief even if you use a track bar relocation kit. Why is it there, can’t really say, all kinds of leaf sprung vehicles and none that I know of have track bars not even CJ’s. But the YJ does and it causes binding because it has to move in an arc when the springs just want to move up and down. For the rest of your issues check out Tom Wood’s driveshafts. They have lots of info on setting your axle angles to correct driveshaft angle but it will probably give you info on your caster question.

Reactions: Superbird17