92 2.5 YJ Starter

Greg

How do i get this thing off, i only see 1 back bolt and 2 bottom bolts? Getting ready to pull the trans to put new parts in

20210508_150441.jpg

20210508_153856.jpg

My 91 uses external torx head bolts with small heads that will avoid what you have there. 2 Big headed bolts partially buried by the F/W cover so you likely cant get a socket on them. The inner one might be socket friendly if you gently bend in the tin around the head to get a socket on it. The other...gonna have to struggle with a open end probably. Good part is those markings on the bolt head mean Grade 8 bolts which are American or SAE NC or NF. When you put things back together if you cant find ex torx bolts id use a couple allens of like size and some thick washers under the heads.

How do i get this thing off, i only see 1 back bolt and 2 bottom bolts? Getting ready to pull the trans to put new parts in

View attachment 117525

View attachment 117526
disconnect negative battery cable, undo solenoid and power wires from starter, undo the two bottom bolts and it should come right out. I don't believe the upper bolt is for the starter, but it's been a long time since I was under a 2.5. Regardless, it will come out after the 2 or 3 bolts are removed.

And as said above, typically external torx bolts are in place of those two lower hex heads and are a much better choice for this application. People love to hate on torx, but they are a great type of fastener, you just need to keep a set of the sockets on hand. i would try to find some OE bolts to go back in with if you can. Or as said above, allens if you can't find OE.

Starter Bolts

Here you go. I'd order these to go back in with.

And honestly, the 2.5 starter is attached to the engine block, not the bellhousing, so you can honestly probably leave it on the engine while you pull the transmission. Then you can get a socket on those bolts, change to the proper bolts, and put it all back together properly. Gotta love PO changes.

Its going to be a struggle i have found so many mix match things the other owner i think learned how to use a welder with it... gonna rain tomorrow just wonderful but thank you all for the info i cant wait till i cann share my new found knowledge with other Jeepers

Reactions: jeepjoe43
I don't remember what bolts mine had when I changed it, but I did leave it on the motor when I pulled the trans.
Starter problem turned out be the power cable wasn't crimped in the connector at the battery.

Its going to be a struggle i have found so many mix match things the other owner i think learned how to use a welder with it... gonna rain tomorrow just wonderful but thank you all for the info i cant wait till i cann share my new found knowledge with other Jeepers
Lot of very knowledgeable folks here who have the years of Jeepin' experience and the wrench time comes with it.

Might sound funny but an aircraft mechanic showed my how to remove an cylinder nut on an OI-360 using a screwdriver. Start tapping close to the point of the nut/bolt to get it to rotate.

E-Torx sockets can be found at Harbor Freight for a good price. You'll use them for this and probably never find another application.

Reactions: Greg