32RH Oil Pan HELP

My mess. Not sure why they didn't put a drain plug on this thing. I hope to never have to do this again.

20210402_183115.jpg

20210402_183103.jpg

I am not going to lie. That was a B word getting the pan back on. I accidently rub rtv off the pan on the drive shaft when trying to carefully get it in between skid plate and muffler. Hopefully I didnt jack it up too much. If there is a next time I will be doing it the long way and getting the skid plate off.

Working on the transmission pan again today. I have a new Crown Deep Dish pan, but I am going to try one more time with the old pan. I haven't tried RTV yet. I have only tried a Felpro gasket and a rubber gasket. Both still allowed a leak from the rear of the pan above the skid plate.

Should I use RTV with a gasket? Or just use RTV by itself. How much RTV do I
use?

Do I use it sparingly like this or do I need to make it thicker:
20220212_163404.jpg20220212_163408.jpg

My old pan:
20220212_162819.jpg20220212_162757.jpg20220212_162740.jpg

If using just RTV, I personally would do it thicker, enough so it pushes out a little when tightened down, but not so much that it may cause problems inside the trans. Also, B&M used to make a drain plug kit. I installed them on every trans pan when I did a filter change.

If using just RTV, I personally would do it thicker, enough so it pushes out a little when tightened down, but not so much that it may cause problems inside the trans. Also, B&M used to make a drain plug kit. I installed them on every trans pan when I did a filter change.
Would it be better to use RTV and rubber gasket? I can put RTV on pan and then place gasket. Let it set. Put RTV on top the gasket and place pan on transmission. Finger tighten the bolts and let it set before torqueing.

I have seen it done and work both ways. I used to do my own the way that you just described. A little RTV to hold the gasket on the pan and bolted it up. If you have a gasket, I would try it. If that doesn’t work out for you, try just using RTV.