1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ has a battery drain

StephanNortje

Good day everyone,

I’m having issues with a battery drain on my 1989 Jeep Wrangler Yj. I’ve checked the fuse box and a number of my fuses still have power to them even when the ignition is off.

The following fuses still have some power:
Dome
Ign/lps
Hazz/Stop
Park/tail.
I’m not sure if any of them should still have power when the ignition is off.

I have to disconnect the battery to stop it draining completely.

Also the temp and fuel gauge are also getting some power, not enough to make the readying correct but enough to keep the needles up to 1/4 with the fuel tank. When the ignition is on they along with the other gauges read correctly.

I have looked for frayed and shorted wires but can’t find any and i plan on opening the fuse block, clearing it out and then adding dielectric great to insulate the inside.

Has anyone had this issue? Advice would be much appreciated because i’m no electrical wiz ans only have a test light 😂

You need to get a DVM and start checking what's draining power by removing one fuse at a time. Some of the fuses will have power when the key is off and out, that's normal. Id also be careful with dielectric silicone on fuses and anywhere dirt will gather. Clean and snug is better than loose and goobered up with that stuff as its like a dirt magnet. The gauge thing is not normal also. Word of advice grounds can wreak all kinds of issues on electrical. Check everyone you can find, clean them to bare metal and snug them up good.

Reactions: machoheadgames
Yeah, need to do a draw test to confirm there is draw and then start yanking fuses til it stops. There are not a ton of fuses, so it can’t take that long to find.

Reactions: Piratesailor
I removed the doors for a few days and didn't unplug the courtesy light switch on the door jam. It was several days before I noticed the light by the parking brake pedal was on until I saw it glowing one night.