YJ=Sahara?

Brian

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
What makes a yj a sahra. What makes a yj a wrangler?
When I bought mine I was told it had a 2" lift done by leaf springs only.....I don't do any off roading and would like to bring it back down. Can I just remove some leafs or do I have to buy OEM springs

Last edited:
"Sahara: which came standard with the 4.0l 242cid engine, offered the most available options, including body color fender flares, matching side steps and alloy wheels. More saharas seem to have come with an automatic transmission and air conditioning than any other trim package." -Resource Section

A Sahara will have the "Sahara sticker" by the Jeep logo on the sides and had a line decal (I have no idea what to call this lol) from the hood to the rear. Some Sahara models came with the special green seats with the map bags. Usually one of the more expensive trims to search for and buy, especially in mint condition. The sell price is also high because of it's movie car status in the original Jurassic Park.

What makes a YJ a wrangler? I am not 100% sure on this and someone will have to correct me. IIRC it started with a wider wheel base between the axles, and the addition of making it more comfortable for the everyday person to commute on the road with, for example air conditioning and interior trim/dash.

Reactions: Brian
"Sahara: which came standard with the 4.0l 242cid engine, offered the most available options, including body color fender flares, matching side steps and alloy wheels. More saharas seem to have come with an automatic transmission and air conditioning than any other trim package." -Resource Section

A Sahara will have the "Sahara sticker" by the Jeep logo on the sides and had a line decal (I have no idea what to call this lol) from the hood to the rear. Some Sahara models came with the special green seats with the map bags. Usually one of the more expensive trims to search for and buy, especially in mint condition. The sell price is also high because of it's movie car status in the original Jurassic Park.

What makes a YJ a wrangler? I am not 100% sure on this and someone will have to correct me. IIRC it started with a wider wheel base between the axles, and the addition of making it more comfortable for the everyday person to commute on the road with, for example air conditioning and interior trim/dash.
IIRC means if I recollect correctly? I thought I had a wrangler (just basic jeep)?

A YJ is a body code name for an 87-95 Wrangler. Wrangler is the model of vehicle from Jeep which is why when you go on auto trader you search for Jeep Wrangler and then narrow it down by year for whatever you want (YJ, TJ, JK, JKU, JL, JLU: all wranglers).

In canada you will actually hear them referred to by their body code designations (Jeep YJ, TJ, etc) because the Wrangler name was trademarked by something else up there. I think that ended years ago and they are back to wrangler now but I am not 100% sure.

a Sahara YJ is basically a top of the line trim level offered which has most all of the options.

You have a Wrangler, and the fact that it is a 93 makes it a YJ version of the Wrangler. People with 97-06 have a TJ Wrangler, 07-18 have a JK/JKU, and 18+ have JL/JLU.

It's no different than how Ford has had a million different year ranges of F150s over the years. They're all still F150 models, but they are different generations. Instead of generations here, we refer to Jeeps as YJ/TJ/JK/etc. Although a YJ could also be called a first gen wrangler, TJ second gen, etc.

I misunderstood the wrangler question lol. I thought you were asking what makes it a wrangler after the CJ years.
Well, what you said is still correct. It was basically them ditching the CJ line to come up with a more refined passenger vehicle that was more road friendly and they came up with a new name for it.

I think, and am not completely sure, that he was more asking what makes his wrangler a YJ, and confirming that they are not exclusive from each other (i.e. making sure he doesn't have one or the other)...

I missed the spring question but if you want it to ride at stock height, I would suggest new OEM springs. I don't like to remove leafs from manufactured spring assemblies, because you never can really be sure what is safe to remove and still drive on.

A YJ is a body code name for an 87-95 Wrangler. Wrangler is the model of vehicle from Jeep which is why when you go on auto trader you search for Jeep Wrangler and then narrow it down by year for whatever you want (YJ, TJ, JK, JKU, JL, JLU: all wranglers).

In canada you will actually hear them referred to by their body code designations (Jeep YJ, TJ, etc) because the Wrangler name was trademarked by something else up there. I think that ended years ago and they are back to wrangler now but I am not 100% sure.

a Sahara YJ is basically a top of the line trim level offered which has most all of the options.

You have a Wrangler, and the fact that it is a 93 makes it a YJ version of the Wrangler. People with 97-06 have a TJ Wrangler, 07-18 have a JK/JKU, and 18+ have JL/JLU.

It's no different than how Ford has had a million different year ranges of F150s over the years. They're all still F150 models, but they are different generations. Instead of generations here, we refer to Jeeps as YJ/TJ/JK/etc. Although a YJ could also be called a first gen wrangler, TJ second gen, etc.
Thx, just sent you a private msg, but doesnt have to be private

Well, what you said is still correct. It was basically them ditching the CJ line to come up with a more refined passenger vehicle that was more road friendly and they came up with a new name for it.

I think, and am not completely sure, that he was more asking what makes his wrangler a YJ, and confirming that they are not exclusive from each other (i.e. making sure he doesn't have one or the other)...
Actually you both answered my questions