YJ pulls hard to the left when accelerating

SDEpps

I have a question I hope someone can help with. I bought this Jeep from someone else. It has a 305 engine. I really like it but when you gas it it pulls hard to the left and when you let off the gas it veers right. My husband put new tie rod ends and a new steering shaft which helped a lot with control

On the road but we can’t figure how to fix it pulling like that. The motor mounts are all good. It has been rebuilt frame up and has 30k on the rebuild which some guys at an off road place told me was all good. I hope someone here has experienced this and knows how to fix it. Thanks!

What rear differential in installed? Is there a differential locker and are you sure the tires are identical. Try swapping rear tires left and right.

some guys at an off road place
no year car told?
I bet he didn';t drive it.OOPS>?
in 2 wheel drive right and for sure. and on pavement. right?

find a real alignment shop, I bet they ring the bell for why.(ding)
seems to be, engine front axle torque steer. (but how?) the engine is not connected to the steering. at all. and for sure engine is not flopping ?
Is front steering box , not loose or damaged.
my guess is here: ( and no better than others guessing)

or the rear axle is moving left and right. ( loose spring shackles there and missing track rod. sure) this act of removing track/say rod
allows any minor error up front to allow the axle to move the wrong way (flop left/right)
Most times LIFT guys remove due not wanting to get a new pitman arm , that corrects for this lift. so are lazy and remove the track bar.
Also the track bar is adjusted (left side body mount for it) with all 4 wheels no the ground normal full weight per FSM words.
if not? the track rod and drag link go to war (fight each other, and is never good that) ( a new pitman arm matching lift is the cure here)

we can not see under you car (blind) to see things missing or wrong or bad /worn. sorry can't post photos off alt things under car.

use real alignment shop,and make sure front end still has caster. (they know what to do, i promise) 6 o 9degrees is spec.

is jeep lifted and how much?
what other mods are there, I bet lots. this old. they kinda grow mods, for 30 years, some even FIGHT each other.

see this?
stock-0lift-are-flat.jpeg

the leaf springs day 1 new and there bushings were tight ,new car. ( and do/did not flop about)
after 30 years, they go loose as a goose and flop left and right , (a danger) the track rod was removed (was it?)_ and the happens,. due to extreme lifts done and the track rod was REMOVED.
same goes for rear, track rod gone, sway marked above.
new spring bushings and tight shackles can be a cure.
this post is not a guess or a cure, I can't see the car nor can I drive it. nor use my magic levers to find it.

good luck and be safe, find a real Alignment shop, that, does this full time,. not a tire shop lacking , that bay and pros to use it.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t call it hard acceleration. If I accelerate very slowly it doesn’t do it. Same with decel.
well that means it's even more dangerous to all,./
take it to a real suspension/alignment shop tell the real guy (means the in person event)_ there what it does driving it.
even let him/her drive it, to see if fail.
there is no other way. ( besides the blind here guessing to infinity)
fixing cars is a hands on business, and dangerous cars, X10 that, do be safe.
it's like posted why is my car on fire.
same answer.
modified cars, can be very dangerous on the pavement.

Reactions: SDEpps
one guy , in my hood said to me why is my steering acting odd< he sees me , working my yJ in the drive and thinks free help (wins)
I walked over and saw all front lug bolts at 2 turns set. 10 is spec, and 100 fl/lbs.
i fixed it for him . then. (my tools) he had none. (and had a wheel chair on truck lid)
a danger to all.
good luck and be safe.

Reactions: SDEpps
no year car told?
I bet he didn';t drive it.OOPS>?
in 2 wheel drive right and for sure. and on pavement. right?

find a real alignment shop, I bet they ring the bell for why.(ding)
seems to be, engine front axle torque steer. (but how?) the engine is not connected to the steering. at all. and for sure engine is not flopping ?
Is front steering box , not loose or damaged.
my guess is here: ( and no better than others guessing)

or the rear axle is moving left and right. ( loose spring shackles there and missing track rod. sure) this act of removing track/say rod
allows any minor error up front to allow the axle to move the wrong way (flop left/right)
Most times LIFT guys remove due not wanting to get a new pitman arm , that corrects for this lift. so are lazy and remove the track bar.
Also the track bar is adjusted (left side body mount for it) with all 4 wheels no the ground normal full weight per FSM words.
if not? the track rod and drag link go to war (fight each other, and is never good that) ( a new pitman arm matching lift is the cure here)

we can not see under you car (blind) to see things missing or wrong or bad /worn. sorry can't post photos off alt things under car.

use real alignment shop,and make sure front end still has caster. (they know what to do, i promise) 6 o 9degrees is spec.

is jeep lifted and how much?
what other mods are there, I bet lots. this old. they kinda grow mods, for 30 years, some even FIGHT each other.

see this?
View attachment 121942

the leaf springs day 1 new and there bushings were tight ,new car. ( and do/did not flop about)
after 30 years, they go loose as a goose and flop left and right , (a danger) the track rod was removed (was it?)_ and the happens,. due to extreme lifts done and the track rod was REMOVED.
same goes for rear, track rod gone, sway marked above.
new spring bushings and tight shackles can be a cure.
this post is not a guess or a cure, I can't see the car nor can I drive it. nor use my magic levers to find it.

good luck and be safe, find a real Alignment shop, that, does this full time,. not a tire shop lacking , that bay and pros to use it.

I have a question I hope someone can help with. I bought this Jeep from someone else. 1995 Jeep YJ. It has a lift. It has a 305 engine. I really like it but when you gas it it pulls hard to the left and when you let off the gas it veers right. My husband put new tie rod ends and a new steering shaft which helped a lot with control

On the road but we can’t figure how to fix it pulling like that. The motor mounts are all good. It has been rebuilt frame up and has 30k on the rebuild which some guys at an off road place told me was all good. I hope someone here has experienced this and knows how to fix it. Thanks!