YJ hardtop won't sit right with seals

TropicalYJ

On my 93 YJ (soft top Jeep), I am currently using a factory hardtop that came off a 92 YJ. The top fits fine in the rear and even the front without any of the weather seals in place. I have tried installing the rubber corner seals that go between the top and the windshield frame but I cannot for the life of me get them in place. I've even tried cutting them up and trimming them but they're still way too bulky. With them in, the top sits way too high and creates a wind gap between the windshield frame. Without them, there are two gaps that rain gets in through.

I've researched this for a while and I can't find any videos or write ups on how to properly install the hardtop with the seals in place. Also, just to throw this out there, having to screw the inside of the top to the windshield frame using flimsy sheet metal screws has to be one of the dumbest designs.

How do you seal/seat/secure your YJ top?

Same thing here with my 92. I bought those rubber corner seals and they didn't to sit low enough into the windshield frame. Still not where it needs to be but close. I ended up placing a 50lb bag of grass seed on each front corner to press it down enough to get the center screw in place. I have 6 screws which should secure the front edge to the windshield frame but the hardtop was sitting so high I could see the top of the frame through the screw holes. I'll give it some time to see if it compresses but I doubt it will and I'll probably trim some more off for a better fit. I didn't have any luck either searching the internet.

Reactions: Chris
If you are converting from a soft top to a hard top I believe you'll have a metal bar on the top of the windshield that you should not have for hardtops. Hardtops lack this bar and have to buy one when converting to a soft top. I believe it's called the windshield channel or maybe retainer. I'm not sure if this is your problem but I do know it's a difference between factory hardtop and softtop YJs.

Reactions: Chris