YJ 5.2 conversion transmission questions

mycrew

Long time listener, first time caller here. I have a 1994 YJ with a 4.0L and a AX15 transmission. My son tried to cross a river, tried, and now I get to install a 5.2L in it. I'm going to keep it a manual so I needed a bellhousing. I though I bought a bellhousing and transmission that would work, but it's out of a 2001. My questions are;
Would that transmission work? It needs rebuilt, so is it worth rebuilding? What flywheel and clutch would I need? Is it just better to get the correct bellhousing? Pictures are of the carnage!

Water Sky Car Tire Water resources

Reactions: redbullet
H20 does not compress, fail. ;)
when I did that , my dad made me buy the parts and do the work.
then we learned the value of the dollar.
answer #2, buy a snorkel kit and keep the ford'ings more shallow that say 4ft deep.
or tow it across
then drain the air cleaner box next.
we learned this on motorcycles, and the damage was 10x less cost, or less.

Last edited:
As far as I understand it, AX15 works on the Mopar Magnum motors as long as you use the 3.9 V6 bellhousing. Normal 4.0 AX15 bellhousing will not work.

Long time listener, first time caller here. I have a 1994 YJ with a 4.0L and a AX15 transmission. My son tried to cross a river, tried, and now I get to install a 5.2L in it. I'm going to keep it a manual so I needed a bellhousing. I though I bought a bellhousing and transmission that would work, but it's out of a 2001. My questions are;
Would that transmission work? It needs rebuilt, so is it worth rebuilding? What flywheel and clutch would I need? Is it just better to get the correct bellhousing? Pictures are of the carnage!

View attachment 122378
Will you adopt me? Kidding, best of luck in the repair/swap. Looks like a similar sized crossing that a buddy of mine tried in a 95 Toyota Celica back in the day…he almost made it.

Sheesh..I did that to my 71 landcruiser but it went 95% under. It sat under water for a day until we had a loader pull it out. Drained all the fluids,pulled the plugs and spun it over a bunch, put it back together and drove it home. Did the drain and refill several times and never had any issues other than stinky seat stuffing. You sure the engine etc is hydroed and has bent rods or rod?

These guy's can adapt damn near anything..........