Will thae 30RH transmission from a 98 TJ fit in a 95 YJ?

The transmission itself will work, the lockup for the torque converter lockup is different, so some wiring work would need to be done.

Last I checked the differences are that the YJ is a 1-wire solenoid while the TJ is a 2-wire solenoid. The torque converter lockup function on YJs is controlled by the PCM grounding a relay on the firewall, which provides power to a case grounded solenoid. The TJ provides power and ground from the computer. I believe it is always grounded by the computer and the computer provides power when it wants to lock up the torque converter.

So to run the TJ solenoid on a YJ, you would need to ground the solenoid and then you could let the YJ continue to power it like stock. It's trickier the other way, using a YJ transmission on a TJ that wants to control both wires.

The TJ uses it's method because the TJ started the computer giving error codes when the torque converter doesn't lock up when the computer expects it to. The YJ throws no error codes related to the transmission. When the TJ computer controls both wires, it can sense when the converter is locked or not, so they switched to that method for 97 and on.

The transmission itself will work, the lockup for the torque converter lockup is different, so some wiring work would need to be done.

Last I checked the differences are that the YJ is a 1-wire solenoid while the TJ is a 2-wire solenoid. The torque converter lockup function on YJs is controlled by the PCM grounding a relay on the firewall, which provides power to a case grounded solenoid. The TJ provides power and ground from the computer. I believe it is always grounded by the computer and the computer provides power when it wants to lock up the torque converter.

So to run the TJ solenoid on a YJ, you would need to ground the solenoid and then you could let the YJ continue to power it like stock. It's trickier the other way, using a YJ transmission on a TJ that wants to control both wires.

The TJ uses it's method because the TJ started the computer giving error codes when the torque converter doesn't lock up when the computer expects it to. The YJ throws no error codes related to the transmission. When the TJ computer controls both wires, it can sense when the converter is locked or not, so they switched to that method for 97 and on.
Thank you for the response I really appreciat.

I searched NAPA for a 30RH torque converter lockup solenoid. The 95 has a slip connector and a grounding connector while the 98 has two slip connectors. Would it make sense to just change out the solenoid? Assuming the soleniod is any easy switch?

I searched NAPA for a 30RH torque converter lockup solenoid. The 95 has a slip connector and a grounding connector while the 98 has two slip connectors. Would it make sense to just change out the solenoid? Assuming the soleniod is any easy switch?
I believe it’s up inside the valve body or something like that. I don’t think it’s just an unbolt and remove part simply from the exterior. But, I’m no expert. I just understand how it works from the diagrams, I have no real world experience with that transmission because all the Jeeps I’ve ever touched had the 5 speeds.

looking at the factory service manual, everything I see about torque converter lockup says “32RH only”. Can you look on your firewall and verify you have a relay screwed to the firewall near the cowl drain? If you don’t have a torque converter lockup function then it may actually be fine.

On the flip side, if you don’t have TCC lockup but the TJ does, then that could be problematic because locking converters are meant to lockup or else they could overheat.