Why is there so much hate against YJ square headlight Jeeps?

i believe,,when the decision was made to switch the lights ,at that time the public just didn,t want them something to whine about ,,,however 32 yrs later ,,well it,s just 1 more thing that people want because they,re unique ,rare classic,s haha so i couldn,t be happier,,,yeah
IMG_20200628_174735.jpg

Personally, I have never understood the hatred for yj's. I do however, understand some of the contempt. Not for the headlights, not for the wide stance, for the crappy axles they put in them. Past that, I think they're a great little vehicle.

There was a time when square (rectangle) lights made a car look modern. Now they make them look old.

Ever notice that merchandise which is made in limited quantities meets much so criticism the manufacturer relents and changes the design? Zip forward a few decades, the Edsel for instance becomes a collectors item. This is indeed occuring with the YJ. Just look at the prices they are selling for. Its increasing. I enjoyed my cj2a, the cj7 was a gas hog, the commando pushed much snow and went anywhere, im 70 now, many moons have risen, this little YJ is my buzz around toy. I enjoy tinkering with it. The 2.5 is too small for any serious four wheeling in high range, but put it in low range and it will climb an orange tree to collect the fruit. Like me its old, slow, and geared low.... my point is duel, first with limited production is will be sought after, second, you only come this way once, take the high road, do what you want, be an individual and enjoy it

Reactions: Drewbert
Ever notice that merchandise which is made in limited quantities meets much so criticism the manufacturer relents and changes the design? Zip forward a few decades, the Edsel for instance becomes a collectors item. This is indeed occuring with the YJ. Just look at the prices they are selling for. Its increasing. I enjoyed my cj2a, the cj7 was a gas hog, the commando pushed much snow and went anywhere, im 70 now, many moons have risen, this little YJ is my buzz around toy. I enjoy tinkering with it. The 2.5 is too small for any serious four wheeling in high range, but put it in low range and it will climb an orange tree to collect the fruit. Like me its old, slow, and geared low.... my point is duel, first with limited production is will be sought after, second, you only come this way once, take the high road, do what you want, be an individual and enjoy it

A clean YJ is a hard thing to find. Clean TJs seem to be a dime a dozen, but it seems almost all the YJs have been beaten to living hell and not many have been left unmolested. Just ask @Fouledplugs.

A clean YJ is a hard thing to find. Clean TJs seem to be a dime a dozen, but it seems almost all the YJs have been beaten to living hell and not many have been left unmolested. Just ask @Fouledplugs.
I concur with everything said except the "dime" a dozen part. More like $20-25,000 for 1/12 dozen. Easy to find, way too MF expensive though. I'd love a nice Unlimited, but that price isn't in the cards yet sadly. The prices are absurd.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I concur with everything said except the "dime" a dozen part. More like $20-25,000 for 1/12 dozen. Easy to find, way too MF expensive though. I'd love a nice Unlimited, but that price isn't in the cards yet sadly. The prices are absurd.

Yes, the prices are absurd, but in the long run I see a nice TJ Unlimited Rubicon holding it's value way better than a JLUR or similar. It's probably the last of what I would call the "classic" Jeep era. Not that the new ones suck, but they're more of an appliance than they are a vehicle.

The money some people want for them is nuts, but at least you don't have to worry about them depreciating much in value.

Reactions: machoheadgames
Yes, the prices are absurd, but in the long run I see a nice TJ Unlimited Rubicon holding it's value way better than a JLUR or similar. It's probably the last of what I would call the "classic" Jeep era. Not that the new ones suck, but they're more of an appliance than they are a vehicle.

The money some people want for them is nuts, but at least you don't have to worry about them depreciating much in value.
Yeah, they hold their value fine, but I think more what my bigger issue is, is that you have to spend at least 15K on a smitty bilt, angry grille, teenage owned POS (and spend money and time undoing their BS), and you have to spend 20-25K for a fully stock rig.

You spend all that money on either option and that only gets you IN to the Jeep. It doesn’t get you into the other 20K worth of mods you end up doing to properly run 35’s, and outfit it with all the typical savvy, Currie, revolution parts, etc. Pretty soon you have a 14-16 year old rig that you’ve spent 40-50K on. Just sucks.

Reactions: Chris
I was lucky to find mine back in October in Tennessee. I have never been happier with my purchase. I wish I bought one a long time ago when I was thinking about it then in 2009.

I think the square headlights make the YJ a handsome and refined looking Jeep. Anyone who works in manufacturing knows a decision to go from round to square headlights caused thousands of hours of discussion. Why the hate for the YJ? The leaf spring issue?
The purest didn’t like it and felt Jeep was going in a direction that was geared towards the market and not staying true to their origins. A lot of people labeled it the Yuppie Jeep. At least that’s the story I’ve been told.

Yeah, they hold their value fine, but I think more what my bigger issue is, is that you have to spend at least 15K on a smitty bilt, angry grille, teenage owned POS (and spend money and time undoing their BS), and you have to spend 20-25K for a fully stock rig.

You spend all that money on either option and that only gets you IN to the Jeep. It doesn’t get you into the other 20K worth of mods you end up doing to properly run 35’s, and outfit it with all the typical savvy, Currie, revolution parts, etc. Pretty soon you have a 14-16 year old rig that you’ve spent 40-50K on. Just sucks.

Sounds like my TJ. If you don't include the cost of the vehicle itself, there's about 40k into it, so that makes it around 58k total that's into it :LOL:

They ain't cheap, that's for sure!

Reactions: machoheadgames
The purest didn’t like it and felt Jeep was going in a direction that was geared towards the market and not staying true to their origins. A lot of people labeled it the Yuppie Jeep. At least that’s the story I’ve been told.
That’s what Ive read as well. Part of it was the government forcing their hand. The CJ had a problem with stability, the YJ addressed the issues and made a bold statement by eliminating the round headlights.

Reactions: Fendert65
Hello folks, first post here, a little about my YJ:
'91, White, 2.5, 5 speed, 2 1/2" Spring lift, 1" body, 32-11.50 TSL's on 10" white spokes, rear locker.
Let me say this, we tend to like what we have (unless it's junk).
I was a flat fender purist when I started wheeling in a '43 Ford GPW millitary, I even referred to CJ's as "Funny Fenders" I was biased.
The GPW turned into an unmanageable project and left me out of the wheeling world for 20 odd years.
Then about three years ago I saw my '91 with a for sale sign on it and took her for a test drive....
it changed my mind and I discovered that the wind in your hair, is well, the wind in your hair, a Jeep is a Jeep, the shape of headlights doesn't change that. It was so clean, rust free, bone stock and unmolested, I bought it.
While I haven't really driven it a lot (been chasing a gremlin), I like it, It's very much like a CJ7 and has everything my GPW did not. Like power steering, power brakes, fuel injection, turn signals, heater, gas gauge, windshield wipers, etc.
The only thing I don't like is the AX5 and I absolutely hate it. I want my SM 420 in it so bad I can taste it, even if it is an axle smasher.
The rectangular headlights are actually starting to grow on me, I think it's it's a good looking machine, even if it is a Wrangler.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
When it comes to head lights, I used to be a tunnel headlight, military jeep guy.
I didn't even like CJs, not even the 2 or 3A's. 3B high-hoods are ugly no matter what you do.
Used to call the YJ's Yuppy Jeeps, never thought I would own one, but here I am.
They do grow on you...

Reactions: Fouledplugs