Where do you like to ride?

I flat tow mine. Transfer Case in neutral transmission in 5th or if you have a front locker or want to be extra safe disconnect the front and back driveshafts from the differentials and tie them up with giant zip ties. Steering wheel unlocked in both cases. My front shackles mount my tow bar.
I have an automatic do I just stick it in drive? Is there a max towing distance in a flat tow?

Edit: I just noticed you replied again on page 2 lol

I have an automatic do I just stick it in drive? Is there a max towing distance in a flat tow?

Edit: I just noticed you replied again on page 2 lol
Mine’s a stick. I put the Tcase and trans in neutral. Mine still racks up miles flat towing. With an auto I think you need to so the same. The most I’ve flat towed is 200 miles one way. I usually just put it on a trailer if I’m going long distance just incase I break it.
Also most states require you have brakes on anything over 2500#.

I use to flat-tow my GPW all the time, but I usually only had old bombers as tow vehicles.
A trailer is always better if you have a good tow vehicle, saves the wear on your expensive tires.
Though I did once tow the GPW on a trailer (specifically built to haul a jeep) with CJ7, not ideal, but it was happy as a clam.