Where can I find this air filter part?

OldJoe28

I'm getting the items, parts ready for my '89 Jeep projects for spring.
Got the motor to rebuild, now, to hunt down this part/ setup.
The main issue is the part to bolt to top of carb to start it all.
Check out pic.
Looks like a kit, but, I've seem parts like this that they got from a donor.
Any help/ ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Joe
Projects are NEVER really done, either you sell it, or run outta $$!!!

Screenshot_20231022-173536.png

that is COLD AIR , junk (not stock)
1989 YJ, 4.2, carb. C2BBD carb./
the free 89 full parts catalog is free in the sticky pages posted zillion times here.
all parts are there, 3000 of them I guess. most key parts needed are not sold by jeep now. 34 years later, (call and ask or use their web page)
chapter 14
fuel group pages

here it is, from the sticky books
finding all that used, would not be easy(ebay pray)
best is new system that does not use $50 up air filter) if you get my drift.
long long ago in a land far far away now, this./

42.JPG

Tanks for the input!
Right now I got a ," Hot Rod" 8"? Open chrome Air filter setup.
Been looking for a stock air filter set up, weird, I found a few tops, but, no bottom part,( the one part that sits on my carb).
My main concern is driving in the dead of winter, COLD air getting sucking in and icing the carb!
The set up in the pic just up looks cool!
I read SOMEWHERE on line, someone got the 90 on the carb from a Caddy?! ( didn't say year or engine size)
I've got the cone air filter from K&N from some project I wanted to do, so just need the 90 and tube.
Joe
One of my ," issues", is I can't leave it well enough alone, keep, " tweeking" til it runs like ....shite!!!

Tanks for the input!
Right now I got a ," Hot Rod" 8"? Open chrome Air filter setup.
Been looking for a stock air filter set up, weird, I found a few tops, but, no bottom part,( the one part that sits on my carb).
My main concern is driving in the dead of winter, COLD air getting sucking in and icing the carb!
The set up in the pic just up looks cool!
I read SOMEWHERE on line, someone got the 90 on the carb from a Caddy?! ( didn't say year or engine size)
I've got the cone air filter from K&N from some project I wanted to do, so just need the 90 and tube.
Joe
One of my ," issues", is I can't leave it well enough alone, keep, " tweeking" til it runs like ....shite!!!
Haha I can picture it now after all these years. J.C. Whitney "Bolt-on Performance". I still see a lot of classic cars with those..

1989 YJ, 4.2, carb. C2BBD carb.
finding parts this old and not from/made /or sold by jeep is never easy
google is the only hope, (outside of all forums, begging, and wise sure)
mine is in the dumps, soon as I saw it there, it hit the trash.
the stock parts work best. IMO.
cold air kits are hot air kits. it eats all the hot air off the radiator fan. and full of dirt too
mine has stock box and a front stock snorkel kit, on it, . and sucks clean fresh air from leading edge of the car.
it allows deep water (ford'ed) to not land on the filter too, and bend the crank shaft rods. (drive dead slow there)
the stock system was well designed. it is a fact.and filters of vast kinds/makes and types fit the stock box, even $$KN$$
YMMV, or your medium may vary

ive driven ,my jeeps now far over 500k miles. not once ice'd up and for 3 decades an avid skier(at K2 ),1988 up me.
my older cars were all manual chokes, or modified by me to do that. (61' c10 chevy first one done,, and draft notice in hand, dang.)
yes , the choke on the carb must be set leaner, at high altitudes or the bugger floods.
humid air at dew point is the cause of icing.
the top cure is cars with water (coolant) heated intake manifold that effectively roasts the carb.
seen below here is your loop (FSM real page)jeep
make real sure there is no cab heater water valve here. or the path is blocked , to heat the carb. oK?

42.JPG

real path,below must not be blocked in any way ,shape or form.or bypassed as seen in say KEY WEST, no cab heater at all and bypassed it wrong

must flow water all the time, and 180f up thermostat, not it bad, not missing or below 180f ever. or those dang fail safe thrmostats end life stuck wide open. and ignored. of 7 years or older , time for a new themostat. try a USA STANT

42a.JPG

Last edited:
my jokes
fix it or buy a new car. for 32k to $55k or less for old car, but cars 30 years old are all mess.(if you looked)

my joke is, make the dealer rich or make the part store rich.
2 choices but sure not ride a bike,

Id buy this if possible. TJ
TJ with 4.0L ,/m/t 97 , about $14000 sold used ,ave price sold 2018-2023

I had a '82 CJ, the throttle plate would have ice when it was,"Nipply Cold".
Can't remember if it had the coolant flowing through manifold er not ( my '89 does, as well as the '86 donor motor, plus the heat sink on the bottom of intake).
Only one that ever did that. Was a GOOD week well below 0 in the mornings. This was '88??.
I'd like to get the air intake away from under the hood temps, closer to the front grille.
I've learned from boat bilge pumps, flexible hoses and sharp bends slow H2O being pumped out. I'm ASSUMING same principle with air intake.
At 66, I'm not heading off road, ( dirt roads maybe to fly fishing holes)!
Joe
After well over 1/2 century of spinning wrenches and , " Making my own parts", when I drop rebuilt engine in and is set up, I'll come up with something, if I can't find a nice aftermarket one!!!!

Last edited:
finding parts for 30 year old car are problematic.
use google. to find them where other places fail.
try crown
try ebay
learn to wait,even put a watch on parts on ebay now called SAVED searches.
some parts only fit our cars and do know that carb is a smog part and related parts are only for USA cars. so buying out of country , parts can be wrong.used.
learn to google use lots of unique names
like 1989 jeep wrangler air cleaner housing.

with rare cars and now rare parts expect high prices on used parts.
supply and demand. (the law of)
expect sellers clueless with what cars it fits. or is dead wrong. (look at the photos carefully first)
here is our wreckers net
is see small # of hits on air cleaner box. rare it is. or buy a new cold air kit but only if they still sell new filters or forget them.

no country told but I looked in USA for you and lots there. my lil guess. country.