What would be the cheapest way to match front and rear axle gear ratios?

Well I suppose the cheapest way would be to find a Dana 30 front with 3.73 gears already in it.

Either that or re-gear one (or both) of them.

I'm seeing regear/rebuild kits for the Dana 30 for about $200 on ebay. I'd look at regearing the front to match the rear.

I’m having mine regeared to 410’s front and rear. Leaving it to the 4x4 shop so it gets shimmed properly. Probably not the cheapest way though.

Wouldn't he want to find a 6 cylinder Dana 30?

I thought all the 4 cylinder YJ’s has 4.10’s and the 6 cylinders had 3.73’s...

Reactions: Whiplash2130
Mine is a '92 with the 2.5L 4cyl. 5 speed and with 31in tires it's a slow dog in 5th gear. It was recommended to switch out to the 4.88 for better performance. Right now I can hold 50mph on level ground in 5th but not much more.

Mine is a '92 with the 2.5L 4cyl. 5 speed and with 31in tires it's a slow dog in 5th gear. It was recommended to switch out to the 4.88 for better performance. Right now I can hold 50mph on level ground in 5th but not much more.
Mine as purchased,(2.5L 4 cylinder 5 speed) with 33x12.5x15’s) good for 50 to 55 mph. Found out it had the wrong gear sets installed. He recommends going with almost stock size tires and 410’s front and rear to “help” the issue.

Reactions: Flyer58
Mine as purchased,(2.5L 4 cylinder 5 speed) with 33x12.5x15’s) good for 50 to 55 mph. Found out it had the wrong gear sets installed. He recommends going with almost stock size tires and 410’s front and rear to “help” the issue.
Unless you’re dropping all the way down to fully stock size 27” tires, I would really advise against 4.10. I’d say go to 31’s and run 4.88 gears. Even stock tires on 4.10 struggles a bit. 4.88 and 31’s is better performance than stock and certainly looks better than a fully stock YJ. Keeps a bit of the cool factor and increases performance overall. A regear costs the same no matter which gear ratio you pick, so choose wisely....

Wouldn't he want to find a 6 cylinder Dana 30?

I thought all the 4 cylinder YJ’s has 4.10’s and the 6 cylinders had 3.73’s...
Nope not at all. 4.0s could have either 3.07 or 3.55. The majority of 5-speeds were 3.07 and majority of 3-speeds were 3.55. That was not a rule though because there are plenty of manual 3.55s (me), and plenty of 3.07 autos. There was not much rhyme or reason as to what each one came with.

2.5’s were consistent - 3.73 auto and 4.10 manual. No ifs, ands, or buts. The only exception would be if a customer special ordered maybe but I don’t know if that was even an option.

I know of one guy who brought his 95 4.0 manual home from the dealer with 4.10, but his build sheet said 3.55 so I know it wasn’t ordered from Chrysler that way. I do know he requested it though, so maybe the dealer worked out something for him. No clue.

Reactions: Fouledplugs