What V6 will bolt up to my TJ?

Dadki

Hello. I have a 93 yj that me and my daughter are restoring for her. It currently has the 2.5 with a 5 speed. Unfortunately she will not drive a stick. I want to put a v6 with an automatic transmission but not sure what v6 will bolt up. I was also told that the 2.5 with an automatic transmission will be to sluggish. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

You talking something like a chevy 4.3 V6 or you thinking a jeep 4.0 straight 6? Either will be a boatload of mods and $$. Nothing easy there really.The AX5 trans will not hold up to a bigger engine so nobody makes adapters for that. If you just swapped in a auto, yeah it would be pretty marginal power wise but it all depends on what your intentions are with it. Offroading will be plenty fun with the auto,4 cyl and factory 4.10 gears. Blasting down the highway up hill or with a stiff headwind..... not so fun. Teach her to drive a stick, its easy and plenty of us have 4 cyl.5 speed YJ's and drive them daily everywhere.

You talking something like a chevy 4.3 V6 or you thinking a jeep 4.0 straight 6? Either will be a boatload of mods and $$. Nothing easy there really.The AX5 trans will not hold up to a bigger engine so nobody makes adapters for that. If you just swapped in a auto, yeah it would be pretty marginal power wise but it all depends on what your intentions are with it. Offroading will be plenty fun with the auto,4 cyl and factory 4.10 gears. Blasting down the highway up hill or with a stiff headwind..... not so fun. Teach her to drive a stick, its easy and plenty of us have 4 cyl.5 speed YJ's and drive them daily everywhere.
She knows how to drive a stick. She just doesn’t like it. Some people don’t. The jeep is going to be a daily driver for her. She’s a teenager so nothing crazy. I have to much time and work on it so I need to figure something out that’s not so costly

Yep. Unless you are in Nebraska on a level road. 5th gear is useless. It really baffles me that the 2.5l, which I have in my ‘92 is so gutless and there are really no mods to help less regearing . I test drove a mid ‘90’s 2.5 automatic and geez, What a waste as well. At least that was my experience. A stick shift 2.5l with 4:88 gears works well from what I read.

There is no V6 whatsoever that is going to bolt-up.

Your best bet if you want some more power is to swap in a 4.0 HO. Sure, there's better swaps, but all of those are going to cost significantly more and be much more work.

There is no V6 whatsoever that is going to bolt-up.

Your best bet if you want some more power is to swap in a 4.0 HO. Sure, there's better swaps, but all of those are going to cost significantly more and be much more work.
I wish someone made a “bolt-in “kit for a 2.5l to 4.0l swap. Obviously need the tranny and transfer case too. If they did, I personally would look into it.

I wish someone made a “bolt-in “kit for a 2.5l to 4.0l swap. Obviously need the tranny and transfer case too. If they did, I personally would look into it.
It would be nice to have that, but really the only problem points are the frame horns for the motor mounts. Everything else can basically be bolt once the mounts are welded in the right spot. All you need is the proper wiring and computer and other associated parts beyond that.

It would be nice to have that, but really the only problem points are the frame horns for the motor mounts. Everything else can basically be bolt once the mounts are welded in the right spot. All you need is the proper wiring and computer and other associated parts beyond that.
The 4.0 fuel injection is powerful enough that I enjoy my 92 immensely! Two owners ago, someone put 31s on it, changed the speedo gear but blew off the gears in the differentials. It's still fun and it 4WD is beyond fun!

The 4.0 fuel injection is powerful enough that I enjoy my 92 immensely! Two owners ago, someone put 31s on it, changed the speedo gear but blew off the gears in the differentials. It's still fun and it 4WD is beyond fun!
I enjoy the 4.0. It would be fun to V8 swap but honestly I probably never will. With low axle gears and smallish tires, mine is a blast and pulls hills and general acceleration plenty well for me.

I love my ‘92, but a 4.0l would be the cats meow. My little 2.5l “no power” with 31’s and a 4:10 gear ratio does the job for our purposes, but… you know. Bigger is better. LOL.