What Radio?

Whiplash2130

YJ Enthusiast
I know the stereo you use is a very personal decision. The brand, style, and mounting options are even more diverse. I run topless 12 months a year which will push my decision in a direction that favors a water resistant design. I just purchased a ‘93 YJ and the previous owner has relocated a Kenwood HD radio to the inside of the center console. Notice I said relocated and not mounted! It’s just thrown in there!! Thinking I’ll go back to the original location with a marine type head unit. There is a overhead 6 speaker mod installed but the drivers side worked when I got it but has since quit. What would you do? Pics?

A577C3DF-F426-44D3-B6CE-DA3F7563351C.jpeg
510B9CD8-4ECF-4075-81DA-7C51D09B7EEE.jpeg

Last edited:
I run the Sony MEXM100BT marine stereo in my TJ. It has a significantly more powerful built in amplifier than the average head unit (40w vs 22w RMS per channel) and can easily keep up with outside noise.

It is single DIN and mounts like any similar stereo, though you may need to run an independent power wire because of the extra power consumption.

Reactions: Whiplash2130
I run the Sony MEXM100BT marine stereo in my TJ. It has a significantly more powerful built in amplifier than the average head unit (40w vs 22w RMS per channel) and can easily keep up with outside noise.

It is single DIN and mounts like any similar stereo, though you may need to run an independent power wire because of the extra power consumption.
I like this Sony.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I would definitely put that thing back in the stock location and go with a marine grade head unit, especially since you are mostly driving the Jeep topless.

Reactions: Whiplash2130
Reactions: Flyer58