What does the tie rod bar do?

Thom Hurd

New to the group and after years wanting a Jeep I now have one,1988 YJ wit an AMC 360 TF 727, a Curiosity question and forgive me if this has been answered before and I have not seen the post, what does the tie rod bar do? Seems to just hang out on the tie rod without a purpose?
Thank You
Thom

The tie rod “ties” the front wheels together in regards to steering.

The Drag link is connected between the steering box and the left (passenger) front steering knuckle. In order to get the front right steering knuckle to turn, a tie rod is connected between the two knuckles. When the steering box turns the left wheel right, the right wheel right as well.

Hope that makes sense.

Here’s a pic for clarification.

ACC0CCD1-7199-4251-80D0-469B1D7632F8.jpeg

Reactions: Whiplash2130
Sorry, just noticed I left out the important word l"ock", guess it was late, What I am referring to is the little flag thing on the drivers side end of the tie rod, when I searched it is called " Tie Rod Bar Lock". I understand what the lock part does , but what's with the flag extention?

Sorry, just noticed I left out the important word l"ock", guess it was late, What I am referring to is the little flag thing on the drivers side end of the tie rod, when I searched it is called " Tie Rod Bar Lock". I understand what the lock part does , but what's with the flag extention?
The “flag” is the lock. When it is clamped correctly it lays lengthwise across the adjustment sleeve and in the gaps between the adjustment sleeve clamping bolts. If the sleeve bolt(s) were to fail, the lock should keep the sleeve from rotating.