What are you using for a jack for your YJ?

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
My project YJ did not come with a spare tire or a jack. The spare tire I can find locally but what are owners using for a jack? Still have the OEM one tucked away under the hood? I don't have a lift kit but the previous owner put 31" tires on.

What should I look for and where does one store it?
Thanks

I use a hydraulic bottle jack (when not in my garage). It's been needed by Jeepers on the trail, but never by me yet.

High lifts are a mixed bag. They can be helpful under some circumstances, but can be dangerous on unsteady situations. Years ago cars used to come with 'bumper jacks' which were very similar. When my wife was young she just missed getting seriously injured when one slipped.

I've seen a Jeep fall of a high lift on the trail. Fortunately no one was hurt but the Jeep suffered body damage.

I still have my factory jack under the hood* (in case I need to use both), but the factory jack is a screw jack. Hydraulic is easier to use in my opinion,

* Also have a toolbox under the hood. Can't do that with modern vehicles.

* Also have a toolbox under the hood. Can't do that with modern vehicles.
To be fair, the 2019 Jeep J6 concept had a burrito heater under the hood.

89627AE0-9878-42F4-AABB-D2EBFB154395.jpeg

Thanks all. I have found a few options for sale out there. Only one OEM with the full mounting clamp and tools. It's been decades since I've needed to change a tire on the roadside but it's still in the back of my minds while driving around.

I like the storage of the original and could make up a mounting plate and strap if I went with the bottle jack. I also have reservations about the old style bumper jack with my thin tube bumper and stability of it yet I see quite a few for sale.

Reactions: RoxxRocks