Weird sound when turning key

Tev

Jeep won’t turn over. I get this sound when turning key. I’ve had the ac kick on and the fly will spin for a second but nothing. I need help!!

Sounds like a dead battery and the stater solenoid chattering. Can you jump start it with cables? How bright are the headlights when trying to start it?

The battery is at 12v dcz I tried jumping it with a charging kit jumper. Headlights are bright as usual. So I honestly have no idea

Also, at rest the battery should read 13.8 to 14.5 volt DC on a multi meter if fully charged.

Several times over the years I've found a bad cable going to the starter with the strands all corroded inside the casing.

If you have a set of jumper cables you can try and use them to bypass the others to the starter but be very careful not to short out anything.

Reactions: DOWNS and ytradio
Several times over the years I've found a bad cable going to the starter with the strands all corroded inside the casing.

If you have a set of jumper cables you can try and use them to bypass the others to the starter but be very careful not to short out anything.
This. I've cut apart what looked like "ok" battery cables on the outside but the insulation was basically holding a tube of corrosion together. The cables would pass enough power to run accessories, turn on lights ect but when asked to carry the hundreds of amps needed to turn an engine over they weren't up to the job.

Unless you've personally replaced your battery and ground cables in the past 5 or 6 years I would go ahead and do that and see if it fixes your issue.

An at rest battery (one that hasn't had a charger or alternator charging it for 30 or so minutes) should be around 12.6-12.8ish volts. 12 volts is basically dead.
The 13.8 to 14.5 mentioned above is what you should see at the terminals when the engine is running.

Get your multimeter and get your at rest voltage. Then using a helper, turn the key to "start" and have the helper read what they're seeing off of the multimeter. Anything less than 10V during starting, and you need to start looking for a new battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyer58
the rested battery voltage is 12.6v, the poster above posted idle voltage from alternator,.
called SOC, state of charge.
jumper cable it to a real other car. not some old , emergency start box thingy.

we can hear the pinion gear scream (bad), first is jumper cable and a voltmeter. rested for say 2 hours.

1. call AAA auto club, and say jump me.
  2. use good battery from other good dd car.
  3. use real jumper cables to other good car. the instuction on the cable box tells what to do. safely. do not jump backwards or blow the pcm to kingdom come or blow the radio too, turn it off ok?
  4. the battery can be tested in all car repair shops on earth, same goes USA most auto stores test the battery and or the starter in hand. all for free.

same here,
the battery cables all ends 100% dead wrong, end to end. cured now. pure junk old and nasty frayed ugly wires. (both battery cables 4 ends and more)
a real tech looks first but I can not .
mine had the body ground strap not connected.

I saved this link posted here. I didn't buy the cables yet but they look like a good idea.

Wrangler YJ Big 7 Kit (1986-1995)​

I saved this link posted here. I didn't buy the cables yet but they look like a good idea.

Wrangler YJ Big 7 Kit (1986-1995)​

I've got a set on my XJ and they are pretty good. Price isn't horrible for a premade set. On the YJ I took the old cables to O'Rileys and myself and one of the counter guys built a set from wires off a spool and the proper terminals and whatnot I needed. Took about 30 minutes of our time and ran me about 40 or 50 dollars.

Reactions: Flyer58
so failed out of the blue?, or bought it dead like that?? or after someone played with starter motor, or?
history matters.
seen one guy replaced the starter and left out the shim and NOW pinion to ring gear , jammed.
with key off can you crank"CW" facing the front damper pulley bolt by hand with breaker bar 2 full turns, if not why expect any starter to work.?
if not starter pulled now, can you hand crank the engine at the damper?
if new cables and good battery is no cure then??????
these words mine.?

the starter and battery can be tested for free in any autostore and many shops. carried in, starters do fail for sure this old.

shim.JPG