V8 auto transmission ?

joshuapa

What transmission would you need for 87 yj with 305 v8. That would bolt up to transfer case? Without a bunch of work.

Depends on the transfer case, I suppose. TH350 or TH400 is the easiest choice for a Chevy automatic trans. Either one should be stout enough for whatever you throw at it. Neither one requires any kind of computer or electronics, (they're dumb like me) :sneaky:
Either one is going to require a fair amount of work to install in a Wrangler.

Not for nothin' but why would anyone go through all the trouble of a V8 swap and install a 305???

Cause I can get it free.
That's cool, and I truly believe the world needs more V8 swapped Wranglers. The only reason I ask is:
The last good running 350 I got cost $250.
That's not much money considering how much time, effort and money goes into V8 swapping a wrangler.
305s are anemic at best. A bone stock [$250] 350 will run circles around a "well built" 305 that someonehas poured a bunch of money into.
As long as you're not trying to upgrade the 305, it's probably fine. If you're thinking about "performance upgrades" , thow the 305 in the scrap heap and find a 350, or a 283, or a 327, or a 400, or a 383 stroker ....or an LS :unsure:

Whatever you do, Post up some pics.

Last edited:
If you do put in the 305 it will be an easy swap from there to another small block. Stooped Jeep is right about the power factor but, any V8 in a Wrangler is a lot of power. Just my opinion, which is worth it’s weight in soggy cardboard.