Upgrading Dash gauges

BBClamper

Hey y’all, I’m considering upgrading the interior of my 92 YJ and my first order of business is cleaning up the poor aftermarket wiring. While I’m tearing it out, I’ve decided to replace the dash and gauges. I’m going to go with autometer phantoms. Are the stock gauges electric or mechanical? If they are electric, can they be switched to mechanical?
Thanks for your help!

They are all Electric.

4x4 - just a switch in the 4WD system that grounds the light bulb

Fuel level - based off of resistance from fuel sender

coolant temp - based off of a sender that measures resistance to ground and reports it to the gauge. Can’t really be mechanical.

Oil pressure - electric unit threaded into the block, could have a manual line threaded in instead and run to the gauge.

Voltmeter, just a simple 12V connection.

Tachometer - electrical signal sent by computer to the gauge

speedometer - electrical signal sent by vehicle speed sensor at the transfer case. I would recommend leaving it electronic.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
A 92 should be electric. I think 91 was the last year for mechanical. Idk about being switched back, it should be doable, you may have to change out some of the sensors or sending units as well.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Thanks guys. I was hoping to go budget with the mechanical……as my friends say, I’m tighter than a bovines arse in a fly storm, but, electric it is!

Damn, these guys beat me to it, my '91 is the bastard child and has both, at least as far as the speedo is concerned.
Your gauges should come with proper senders (make sure they do).
I've been doing a little research with another member as we're both looking into flat dash conversions, but for very different reasons.
My reasons are aligning more closely with yours.
Can't go wrong with Autometer, IMHO.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
The only downside I see to aftermarket gauges in a 92+ YJ (on a stock dash panel) is that the idiot light cluster on 92+ is attached to a big hunkin molded cluster that includes the speedo, tach, and all the idiot lights in the center. They are all connected by a ribbon circuit strip.

The reason this poses an issue is that in order to install the aftermarket speedo and tach, you’ll have to somehow delete the factory cluster while retaining the idiot lights. I suppose you could grind off the speedo and tach portions as long as you can figure out a way to make the ribbon not short out.

The frustrating part is that auto meter has made dash panels with gauges for the YJ for ages and I am sure this has to have come up at some point, yet they just keep on selling only half the solution and leaving you to figure out the rest.

if going with an aftermarket flat dash or full replacement (like something from double D), then you can work out your own better custom solution. But on a stock dash, autometer will only sell you about 60% of the solution and the rest is up to you.

It also annoys me that autometer panels come in black, yet they don’t make the center piece that covers the idiot lights. Factory trims were only gray and spice, so black doesn’t really do anyone any good. If course it can be painted but for these high dollar purchases, it’s a hassle. I’m probably being too picky but I just wish there were more complete solutions.

I have contemplated the full double D dash myself, but holy cow so much work it would be to get up and running.

And $, they're not cheap.
Really nice stuff as far as I can tell, but pricey, depending on how far you want to go with it...
And that doesn't include the instrumentation.

And $, they're not cheap.
Really nice stuff as far as I can tell, but pricey, depending on how far you want to go with it...
And that doesn't include the instrumentation.
Yeah that’s my ultimate biggest beef. Roughly $1100 for the “kit” which is really just some random wiring, 7 gauges, and 2 panels. Barely any info is supplied, and lots of custom kinks to work out. Like they don’t even give the mounting brackets to secure gauges to the panel they give you. Their parts themselves are top notch though, very nice gauges.

if I ever do the double d dash I will use speed hut gauges, but they aren’t any better. Tons of work still. I just like the customization and looks of their stuff better.

all this to say it’s hard for me to scrap my dash and go custom when every single gauge works 100% on mine, lol.

Yea, I started to clean up the mess from multiple PO’s and said screw it. I’m just going to start fresh. DD dash is who I’m going with. Going with the angled dash. Steering section and mid section only as I have a nice solid Tuffy G box. I opted to just go with a speedo, who needs a tach right. The speedo, oil, water& volt..🧐 what am I missin? Oh yea, a double din. Plenty of room for switches. A few LED’s for turn signals, flashers and 4x indicator. I’m sure I’ll be reaching out again once I get started!