Transmission problems

Ken

I have an AX-5 transmission which grind's going in to revers only and double clutching dos not help. All other gears are fine. Dos revers have it's own synchromesh which could be the problem. Has any one had and resolved this problem?

No synchros for reverse and they're straight cut gears so it whines when rolling in in reverse gear. Try going from 2nd (not moving) into reverse and see if that helps align the two. There's a lockout which prevents going from 5th straight into reverse.

1a2.jpg

Your system could just need to be bled, though if does could mean the master or slave cylinder is on the way out.
Look for simple solutions first.
I usually have to slip the clutch a bit to get mine to go into reverse, going to try 2nd to reverse the next time. Thx Flyer58!
Didn't know about the 5th to R lock-out either, but it makes sense.
Shortly after I bought mine, storage mortality reared it's ugly head in the clutch, brake and fuel systems.
Unbeknownst to me, it had been parked for about 10 years, probably more.

Reactions: Flyer58
Thanks again; tried the second to revers method presto no grinding. Still wondering why it grinds going in to revers otherwise, cant be normal. dos not appear to be the clutch as all other gears shift fine. The jeep sat for at least 10 years before I bot it and I got it as a project to remove the tub clean up the frame which is sallied but rusty. Just wondering if I need to look into the transmission further.

Probably not the tranny, yours sat as mine did, storage mortality.
Hydraulics are the first thing to fail when they are parked for a long time.
Expect the brakes and fuel system to be future problems.