Transmission identification

Brian

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am getting ready to buy a trans that is suppose to be a AX15. I have not confirmed it yet, but have been told the drain plug is on the driver's side. When I see it I will check for 10 splines and the aluminum plate instead of cast iron. Is there anything else I should check. They say it is a 5 speed out of a 87 YJ 4 cylinder.
If it truly is a 15, any reason it would not fit my 93 6 cyl? Is the bell housing different?

Im no expert on ID'ing trannies but 87 thru 89 used the dreaded BA10 in the 6cyl. That being said I cannot imagine they used the improved AX15 behind a 4 banger.
The BA10/5 as found in Jeeps is 16-7/8" long. Its case is split longitudinally down the center. Its case and tailhousing are made of cast aluminum and its shift control is located in the rear portion of the transmission. The BA10/5 bellhousing mounting face has five mounting studs and two dowel pins for alignment.

In terms of identification numbers, it may have a "SIMI" and "3.283..." cast into the front and side of the case.

Part numbers for the BA10/5 may include: 53002035, 53002838, 53003234, 53005248, 53005251, 53005252, 53005451, 53005453, 53005454.

Im no expert on ID'ing trannies but 87 thru 89 used the dreaded BA10 in the 6cyl. That being said I cannot imagine they used the improved AX15 behind a 4 banger.
The BA10/5 as found in Jeeps is 16-7/8" long. Its case is split longitudinally down the center. Its case and tailhousing are made of cast aluminum and its shift control is located in the rear portion of the transmission. The BA10/5 bellhousing mounting face has five mounting studs and two dowel pins for alignment.

In terms of identification numbers, it may have a "SIMI" and "3.283..." cast into the front and side of the case.

Part numbers for the BA10/5 may include: 53002035, 53002838, 53003234, 53005248, 53005251, 53005252, 53005451, 53005453, 53005454.
Sounds like expert info to me. Plus you saved me a long drive to pick it up only to find it wasn't a AX15. Thanks so much.

An 87 4.2 would have been a BA10/5 and an 87 4 cyl would be an AX5. whatever they have, they are mixed up. Plus the AX15 drain is on passenger side, fill on driver. I’d say pass.

And since you have a 93, technically an 89-93 model trans would be the direct fit option, but I HIGHLY recommend buying the parts to do an external slave swap while you do this.

To do that, Get a trans from a 94-99, hopefully with a bellhousing, and your parts required to complete the conversion will be minimal.

And since you have a 93, technically an 89-93 model trans would be the direct fit option, but I HIGHLY recommend buying the parts to do an external slave swap while you do this.

To do that, Get a trans from a 94-99, hopefully with a bellhousing, and your parts required to complete the conversion will be minimal.
I have someone who will rebuild mine when he finishes moving. Where can I get info on the parts I need for the external system

I have someone who will rebuild mine when he finishes moving. Where can I get info on the parts I need for the external system
Bellhousing

Link above. Make sure it says AX15 (it is a round shape bellhousing) and it has that hole on the left. It can come from any Jeep that uses an AX15. Chereokkes, late YJ's and early TJs.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
What you need depends on what comes with the transmission. if you were able to find a 94-99 transmission, IF it comes with a bellhousing, it should be the right one. a lot of people know the bellhousing is desirable so they will sell separately for more money.

An older trans can be retrofitted with an additional part, the front bearing retainer. You would need one froma 94-99. Around a $75 part last I checked and it should just bolt on with some RTV.

The actual parts you need for the whole conversion:
  • external slave bellhousing (if 94-99 transmission does not come with one) (can come from ANY 94-04 4.0 5 speed trans)
  • front bearing retainer (if transmission is not a 94-99 model)
  • clutch fork (94-99)
  • clutch fork pivot ball (94-06)
  • clutch fork retainer spring (94-06)
  • clutch kit for 94-06 (LUK 05-065 standard or 05-901 heavy duty)
  • external slave cylinder (HIGHLY recommend buying the full master/slave cylinder assembly from rockauto which replaces your current master, line, and internal slave with a bolt on, pre-bled part. It is a simple bolt on and go deal.
Of course if you decide to swap, there will be plenty of support here and on the web to help you do it.

The problem is there are no good parts for the internal slave. Hell, the external slave parts aren't that great either but they're super easy to replace when needed. The problem with the internal slave is the bad parts are inside the trans and when they go in the year, that means pulling the transmission again. It is a real PITA. So while you are searching for transmissions, if you can score a late model transmission and especially one with a bellhousing, the parts to buy will be minimal and SO worth the added expense.

Last edited:
What you need depends on what comes with the transmission. if you were able to find a 94-99 transmission, IF it comes with a bellhousing, it should be the right one. a lot of people know the bellhousing is desirable so they will sell separately for more money.

An older trans can be retrofitted with an additional part, the front bearing retainer. You would need one froma 94-99. Around a $75 part last I checked and it should just bolt on with some RTV.

The actual parts you need for the whole conversion:
  • external slave bellhousing (if 94-99 transmission does not come with one
  • front bearing retainer (if transmission is not a 94-99 model)
  • clutch fork (94-99)
  • clutch fork pivot ball (94-06)
  • clutch fork retainer spring (94-06)
  • clutch kit for 94-06 (LUK 05-065 standard or 05-901 heavy duty)
  • external slave cylinder (HIGHLY recommend buying the full master/slave cylinder assembly from rockauto which replaces your current master, line, and internal slave with a bolt on, pre-bled part. It is a simple bolt on and go deal.
Of course if you decide to swap, there will be plenty of support here and on the web to help you do it.

The problem is there are no good parts for the internal slave. Hell, the external slave parts aren't that great either but they're super easy to replace when needed. The problem with the internal slave is the bad parts are inside the trans and when they go in the year, that means pulling the transmission again. It is a real PITA. So while you are searching for transmissions, if you can score a late model transmission and especially one with a bellhousing, the parts to buy will be minimal and SO worth the added expense.
That was so much info I sent it to my printer. I will have to be on the lookout for the later model. Hope mine stays together till then. Mainly 3rd gear sync.

That was so much info I sent it to my printer. I will have to be on the lookout for the later model. Hope mine stays together till then. Mainly 3rd gear sync.
Main things are the bellhousing and the front bearing retainer. Front bearing retainer is all you gain by getting a later model trans, unless you score one with a bellhousing which would be great. The rest is pretty small stuff. Maybe $100 for the pre bled assembly and $100 for the other small parts added up. The bellhousing is $300 by itself usually that's why it would be cool to find with a transmission.

Reactions: Brian
That bellhousing sirdoop shared is a steal for $240. If you can not find one quick, buy that one because it will go fast. I never see them that low.

Edit they've got 9 available so I guess it's not as much of a rush. I was used to finding 1 at a time on eBay, all for 350-400.

That bellhousing sirdoop shared is a steal for $240. If you can not find one quick, buy that one because it will go fast. I never see them that low.

Edit they've got 9 available so I guess it's not as much of a rush. I was used to finding 1 at a time on eBay, all for 350-400.
They have gone up in price. I found a private seller on ebay and got mine for $189. I lucked out with that. I believe the other listings are probably from deadjeep, they tend to ask $$ for there stuff. I would check deadjeep.com first. I have noticed that there ebay listings are higher in price, probably due because of ebay %.

They have gone up in price. I found a private seller on ebay and got mine for $189. I lucked out with that. I believe the other listings are probably from deadjeep, they tend to ask $$ for there stuff. I would check deadjeep.com first. I have noticed that there ebay listings are higher in price, probably due because of ebay %.
Weird. Years back, like 2015-17ish, they were seriously 300+ consistently. Maybe a surplus of them have hit the junkyards, but from looking in the past, I never in a million years thought the prices now would ever be realistic. Low to mid 200s seems great to me since always in the past they were so high.