Toggle switch rating questions

Gilaguy23

YJ Enthusiast
Kinda off topic perhaps but I'll put here cause I know we all mod our rigs with different electrics. That being said Ive got a one supplier list of goodies with free shipping now but ant figure out toggle switch ratings. 95% of the companies list switches as "Specifications: 10 A 277 V AC / 20 A 125 V AC" So how many amps at 12 volts can it handle?? I know the amp/watts math, but on these switches, No comprende.

A switch from a “good” manufacturer should give an amperage rating for both. But if not, a rule of thumb that I have lived by is 1/4 the 125vac amperage rating. A lot of stuff on Amazon and the like lacks the duel voltage info. Man, I miss Radio Shack.

Interesting. Before I posted I called Painless wiring Co and asked about the 12 volt amp rating on their 80512 switch. The Summit racing listing and the side of the switch is stamped 20 amps@ 125V and 10 @ 277V but nada for 12 volts. The rep tells me their good for 20 amps 12 volts. Can this be correct?

Last edited:
Interesting. Before I posted I called Painless wiring Co and asked about the 12 volt amp rating on their 80512 switch. The Summit racing listing and the side of the switch is stamped 20 amps@ 125V and 10 @ 277V but nada for 12 volts. The rep tells me their good for 20 amps 12 volts. Can this be correct?
It is, the Amp rating is the rating, though I try to give myself about a 10-20% margin.
The Voltage rating is describing the upper limit of the contacts before they start arcing.

Think of it like a fuse, most glass fuses are rated @125 Volts, but they still blow at their Amp rating no matter what the voltage.

Ah, makes sense. I enjoy doing wiring mods and the like but Im one of them people if I cant see it I cant comprehend sometimes. We got into some HD industrial 3 phase stuff at work involving PLC, UPS units and stand by generation systems with the Delta and Wye factors. Mind boggling sometimes.

Ah, makes sense. I enjoy doing wiring mods and the like but Im one of them people if I cant see it I cant comprehend sometimes. We got into some HD industrial 3 phase stuff at work involving PLC, UPS units and stand by generation systems with the Delta and Wye factors. Mind boggling sometimes.
I'm fully familiar with 3 phase electric, VFD's and PLC control myself, it can be mind boggling for sure!
At one time I was going to put a touch screen and PLC in my Jeep, but it just didn't pan out.

As i get older I'm finding the further I get away from any kind of tech, the happier i am.